• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/48 scale Kettenkraftrad

Thank you Luiz and Dave!

A little more work has been done on this thing, as you can see the basic construction and painting are done now and a coat of Future will be added very soon and after that's dry a pin wash using thinned oil paints will be added to make some of the molded in detail 'pop'.
The pilot figure...oops I mean driver has some painting done and detail painting with a fine brush will be done next. The arms will be added last after the figures body is glued onto the vehicle, this way I can ensure the arms will match up exactly to the vehicle with no gaps.

hf04e0bf.JPG

h27283f0.JPG

h1443227.JPG

h807a007.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks for looking!

Getting real close to being finished with this one, some work with oil paints was done and only a few minor things left to hand paint on it before the flat clear coat will be sprayed on. The very last thing needed after adding the figure is to add the glass to the instrument faces, this will be done by putting in a small drop of epoxy into each instrument face.

h6471344.JPG

h3977544.JPG

h83cf418.JPG

h2f3904a.JPG

Matrixone

Ron,
Thanks so much for posting that video! (y)
I never thought about using Youtube as a way to study the Kettenkrad. I have very little about these machines in my reference books except for some random photographs of them towing Luftwaffe aircraft.

After looking at a few of the Kettenkrad videos from Youtube I can see a few things I got wrong on my model but its too late to change them now.
The biggest goof is the mud flaps, Tamiya gives you some rather thick parts for the mud flaps, in fact they were so thick I took them to be a solid item when in fact they were actually quite thin and made of rubber. Had I known this before I would have made mud flaps out of thin plastic card and painted them appropriately.
I do have a couple other of these Tamiya Kettenkrad kits laying about and will hopefully get them right. :laugh:

Matrixone

Bob,
Last night I watched some Youtube videos of the Kettenkrad in operation and it looks like the front wheel had little influence on steering.
One thing that I am impressed with is the top speed this thing had...40 MPH! :blink

Matrixone

Bob,
Last night I watched some Youtube videos of the Kettenkrad in operation and it looks like the front wheel had little influence on steering.
One thing that I am impressed with is the top speed this thing had...40 MPH! :blink

Matrixone

40mph. Man I could have some fun with one of those out here in Central Oregon :yipee :D

Bob,

Matrixone

40mph. Man I could have some fun with one of those out here in Central Oregon :yipee :D

Gotta wonder what tracked ATV haven't been done. I remember that 6 wheeler thing years ago had rubber track options but nothing since then.

One of the Youtube videos I watched was of a captured Kettenkrad being used as a snowplow to clear an Allied runway of snow, what an amazing little machine the Kettenkrad was and its too bad it was invented by the bad guys because it would have been used all over the world years after the war ended.

Matrixone

I love it, Les! I built one of these with the Eduard set- your painting skills, as ever, shine!

Did the front wheel really steer that thing or did the driver work breaks like a tractor?

Have done research on these, the front wheel was main steering at higher speeds, at lower speeds and tight turns it was more of a standard track braking system like on tanks.

Have the big 1/9 ESCI kit (that is only so-so) and so did a lot of research a while back.

Excellent looking build there Les!! I could swear tht it is a much larger model. you did such a wonderful job on the paint detail and subtile shading and weathering that it really is outstanding! :notworthy :notworthy

this goes very well with all of your Luftwaffe air field collection. It is a sharp build and I think I will have to break my 32 one out.

Back