• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sturmovik

James, I know you just want to get through this kit, to break your builder's block, so you're doing the right thing in keeping it simple. I'm going the "Full Monty" so to speak on mine, with an exposed engine, a complete cockpit with all the missing fiddly bits added, and an opened up wing with the guns and ammo showing. By the look of things, you'll have yours done and I'll still be putting in wiring for the cockpit. It is nice to see you following the modest suggestions I made regarding such things as the wooden rear fuselage, the radiator shutters, etc. I think you'll have an accurate looking bird when you get done.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I may even be able to finish this kit, a breakthrough :laugh:

The a/c glued together. Have some more work on fuse and wings then start the landing gear and prepping for paint.

ac1_1_20100830_1814275000.png

ac2a_2_20100830_1470668138.png

Of course an obligatory test flight was carried out enroute to show wife. She yawned :S

James

I had to fix the link but the Gallery is producing the correct code again. I've asked the makers of the Gallery if this is going to be something I have to fix every time they update.

BTW, the A/C looks great! Did you make the airplane noise on the way to show her?

moon puppy wrote:
I had to fix the link but the Gallery is producing the correct code again. I've asked the makers of the Gallery if this is going to be something I have to fix every time they update.

BTW, the A/C looks great! Did you make the airplane noise on the way to show her?

Thanks MP. Your the bestest. No no noise. Just guided it along and maybe an occasional bank shot at a 109, but I wont admit to anything so you cant prove it. :laugh:

Got to mask the canopy tomorrow and I don't wanna.

James

Wow! You are getting there, James! If you have any questions about how to accurately paint this model, I can help you there. It's a shame, but I've seen so many otherwise excellent IL-2 models let down by inaccurate paint schemes (like my old nemesis, the brown/green topsides). Just let me know.

Regards,

Jason

Hi James,

I didn't know much about the Sturmovik 'til I bumped into this here Thread of your's: I obviously went the Google way and found out what an interesting bird it is - I must agree with those that say that it could be in the Tank section of this Forum... ;)

Watching you build it is an amazing treat to one such new to the hobby as I am: Jeez I'm learning a ton! In earnest, James, thank you so much for sharing!
Emoticon_okay.gif

Cheers and have fun! :)
Fernao

This is looking great James!! I just started building up the 1/48 Accurate Miniatures -M3 kit...nothing yet worth pics, but it is enjoyable as well. I have a thing for the ground pounders I guess...

Not much happening here. Been working on some figures and GB armour. But here is where I am.

front_1_20100915_1710689758.jpg

side_2_20100915_2053549579.jpg

James

Thanks guys. Hope to get the wheel wells, flaps, and ailerons on today and then back to a well and sdkfz 234/3.
James

Fine looking work James, did those gear retract? looks like the notch on the leading edge would fit the ski.

Yes they did retract, moon puppy. The notches on the wings will hold the nacelles that James will add. The skis actually fit onto the undersides of the nacelles. The whole contraption subtracted about ~7mph from the Shturmovik's top speed and worked reasonably well. The reason they weren't used after the winter of 1941/42 is that it was found that the Shturmovik could take off and land perfectly well from snow-covered fields that had been rolled flat. I've even seen a photo of one of those rollers, being towed behind a big tractor. With that strong, wide-track landing gear the Il-2 could take off and land from any relatively flat surface.

Looking good, James, and I look forward to more pictures!

Regards,

Learstang

I can understand taking off on ice/snow. I've seen snowbanks turn to cement up in North Dakota.

Learstang wrote:
Yes they did retract, moon puppy. The notches on the wings will hold the nacelles that James will add. The skis actually fit onto the undersides of the nacelles. The whole contraption subtracted about ~7mph from the Shturmovik's top speed and worked reasonably well. The reason they weren't used after the winter of 1941/42 is that it was found that the Shturmovik could take off and land perfectly well from snow-covered fields that had been rolled flat. I've even seen a photo of one of those rollers, being towed behind a big tractor. With that strong, wide-track landing gear the Il-2 could take off and land from any relatively flat surface.

Looking good, James, and I look forward to more pictures!

Regards,

Learstang

Thanks. Be careful when doing the landing gear. It is deceptively easy yet tricky to get the alignment right.\James

Thank you for the tip/warning, James. You're kind of my (hopefully) fairly willing guinea pig in terms of building this plane. I'm still stuck on the cockpit - it looks like I'm going to put in just about everything, wiring included. With any luck I'll be able to finish it during the reign of the current Monarch.

Regards,

Jason

Dear James.

...I love this airplane...and you´re doing an excelent job...congrats!

Best my friend.

Luiz.

Back