• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sturmovik

jknaus

Administrator
This is the 1/32 hobbyboss Sturmovik.Beautiful kit, fits nice. This is as far as I managed to get today.
storm_20100717_1776424011.jpg

James

The flying tank, a fitting plane for this site!

Does this kit include skis?

Regards,

Just skis. No wheels. But a full complement of weapons, including the wing root bomb bays, and rubber band style rounds for the cannons. Very nice and well engineered.
James

James, that is gonna be cool! Chris, aka The Lurker, aka phantom II has a 1/72 scale version on the bench, he's done extensive research on the colors etc if you need references, drop him a note.

Iron Mike wrote:
James, that is gonna be cool! Chris, aka The Lurker, aka phantom II has a 1/72 scale version on the bench, he's done extensive research on the colors etc if you need references, drop him a note.

Will do. This will be straight from the box I think, but only 2 schemes to pick from.
James

Chris is a perfectionist when it comes to colors, he got material from Russia, so it is authentic. I'd have just slapped some on and called it good, but his is sweet! Now if I could just get him to post it up!

This kit feels greasy and so I gave a test shot of primer inside where it wont be seen. You will have to wash the sprues at some point. As I dont usually wash my kits it will have to happen this week sometime. Just a heads up. So far she's falling together. Very nice.
James

B) Hey James keep us posted on this as I am getting one as soon as I can. I have waited for one of thses for ever.
Is it the 2 seater and is the ski version the best one to get?

Ian.

Brokeneagle wrote:
B) Hey James keep us posted on this as I am getting one as soon as I can. I have waited for one of thses for ever.
Is it the 2 seater and is the ski version the best one to get?

Ian.

As far as I know the single set ski plane is the only one available right now. I got mine off ebay but a number of stores are doing pre orders. Dual is supposed to be out sometime soon.
James

You know, in general I like the idea of a clear engine cowl to show off what's under there, but they should use a different clear stock. Maybe a vacuform or something as clear as a canopy.

James this is going to cool. I will be keeping tabs on this one.

Terry B)

jknaus wrote:
complete it looks like. Pity I wont be showing it.
James
:( Thinking about that cowl, you could get a cool effect if you fully weather and paint it but leave a feathered edge window in one side or on the top. Almost like a technical drawing showing the inner workings, that you see from engineering design concept art.

Ian

The single and double seater are due out at the end of year/ early next year. Any updates James??..............Harv :silly:

dirtball wrote:
The single and double seater are due out at the end of year/ early next year. Any updates James??..............Harv :silly:

I'll get a dual for sure. Very nice kit. I havent got beyond washing the kit. Havent even painted my figure. But hopefully this weekend.

Will post pics when cockpit is done.

James

As I continue to work on this, here are some links for anyone looking to build this bird.
Pilots manual
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/IL2MHandbook.pdf
Discussion on compueter cockpit, but with good gen
http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9712
walkaround
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Ilyushin/Il-2/Walkround/Serbia/index.php
paint chip
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/colour-samples.php
Hope this is of some use.
James

I have loads of reference son the Il-2. Next week, I will be in Warsaw and may take more photos. I won't be getting the larger scale kits as I already have enough of the 48th scale ones. If you are looking for markings schemes (check to see if the decals in the Trumpeter kit are any good - as in Cartograf - or consider Montex Masks)...

Ian's idea about the winter wash with the wear showing the clear styrene for an interior peek means only detailing/painting a section of the engine so all know it is in there... but it is your model! :P

Wash the kit in Simple Green detergent. Some use Brake Fluid (or something like that). I mix my Simple Green with a grease cutting dish-washing soap (Dawn brand is what I use) and some glass cleaning fluid (Windex is the brand I use) in a respective ratio of 75/15/10. If using an ultrasonic cleaner (for parts which are about to be glued but I still feel the greasiness) I used the same liquid but it only constitutes about 20% of the ultrasonic cleaner's capacity with the rest being water. Being frugal, of course I save the rest! When it is time to get rid of it (sediment in the bottom), I place it in the toilet and let it sit overnight. I then scrub the toilet (earning much needed Brownie Points with the wife) and flush. Result: clean model parts, clean toilet, nice smell in bathroom, happy wife who then asks why I do not clean the upstairs toilet!
:blush:

Regards,

Been putzing about. Got some more built and then had to tape and see what it looked like.
il2_20100803_1200092655.png

Post more soon.
James

Back