• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sturmovik

I believe there was a all female squadron that flew these and the germans refered to them as black death because they painted their birds all black
Looking foreward too seeing more its gone be cool .

Guys, there is a review on LSP forum http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/Kits/WW2/HobbyBoss/il-2/il-2.php Not sure the link will work. James sent you a PM....Harv :silly:

dirtball wrote:
Guys, there is a review on LSP forum http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/Kits/WW2/HobbyBoss/il-2/il-2.php Not sure the link will work. James sent you a PM....Harv :silly:

Hello, all. This is my first post here. I'm the author of the above review, so if you have any questions about it (or about Shturmoviks in general), I'm reasonably knowledgeable about the subject.

Regards,

Learstang

dirtball wrote:
Pleased to meet you, Sir. Welcome aboard!. Great review.....Harv :silly:

Thank you very much, Harv! Glad you liked it. It is actually part of a larger work I'm in the process of finishing on modelling the Il-2. The review is going to end up, probably somewhat modified, as an appendix in my book. I plan on having the book published by the end of the year. (Oops, I hope mentioning my book doesn't make me a spammer - all right, everybody forget I mentioned it.) Seriously though, if there are any other Il-2 or even VVS enthusiasts out there, post your work. I enjoy seeing what I should be aspiring to in my modelling.

Regards,

Learstang

Welcome Learstang. Great site here. I'm sure to be asking you questions as I start building some more. First thing is filling in the rivets I guess and then move on from there.
James

jknaus wrote:
Welcome Learstang. Great site here. I'm sure to be asking you questions as I start building some more. First thing is filling in the rivets I guess and then move on from there.
James

Thank you, James! Bring on the questions - I hope to be of help to anyone building any Il-2's. Although in my review, I mention tackling the rear fuselage first, I've actually put that off as I'm trying to figure out what's better, filling or sanding. In 1/72nd scale I've sanded off the panel lines on rear fuselages and wings, and been pleased with the result. The good part is you get rid of the lines and rivets completely. The bad part is the part then becomes slightly thinner as a result. The problem I've had in the past with filling in items is with the filling material shrinking over time, and what I tried to fill in showing up again. I'm probably going to sand my fuselage down, beginning today. The plastic is thick enough to where I shouldn't have a problem with sanding through. I'll let you know how that goes, and may even post some pictures of the results. One thing I didn't mention in my review is that there is a small circular panel on the port side of the fuselage, in the area that needs to be sanded down, that either needs to be preserved somehow, or rescribed. It's just above and aft of the port rear wing root.

Regards,

Jason

Well cockpit is almost all done. Rear fuse is now all filled in and trailing edge fairings scribed. Will get pics up soon. Just too busy building, painting, and palying on computer.
James

James.

Could you make use of a standing female Russian pilot from the Master Box Famous Pilots set?

Cheers from Peter

Okay so cockpit is pretty well done. Its a very spartan cockpit.
Inst panel is painted vallejo black. kit decal futured on to back

inst_20100808_1381217959.png

Tub. Mike Grant inst decals used. Dont like the seat belts. Will have to find something else for next kit.

tub_20100808_2010004257.png

Rear fuse filled in to make wood version and trailing edge fairing scribed.

bottom_20100808_1977582251.png

dsc01685_20100808_2040732385.jpg

Hopefully you enjoy.

James

Tankbuilder wrote:
James.

Could you make use of a standing female Russian pilot from the Master Box Famous Pilots set?

Cheers from Peter

Thank you, but I don't think I would use it. I'm going to have trouble finding a place for the a/c on its own. Appreciate the offer though.
James

Looking good, James! Nice to see you've followed some of my little tips - like the fuselage. I'm struggling with that right now, although I'm sanding mine. I think what I really need is about a 50 grit to begin with!

Regards,

Jason

Learstang wrote:
Looking good, James! Nice to see you've followed some of my little tips - like the fuselage. I'm struggling with that right now, although I'm sanding mine. I think what I really need is about a 50 grit to begin with!

Regards,

Jason

I used Tamiya putty. Then sanded and sanded. Primed, then sanded and sanded. First time scribing compound curves and I dont think it came out too bad. Want to get it together so I can try 2 part epoxy putty on tail wheel boot. And I'm modifying as per your review. It's coming along.
James

Okay haven't got as much done as I hoped. Been busy doing paperwork and house work. I added a flap indicator to the wing, landing gear indicators (no pics because the darned camera wont focus on the. Cut off the filter on the wing and added a tube with mesh. Cut off the excess at the tail wheel. The mesh I used is from the Lipton tea bags used for white tea. They are pyramid shape and an excellent mesh for filters. And the tea tastes good.

The tea bag and a good idea of the mesh.
mesh_20100817_1888293900.png

Tail
tail_20100817_1044256562.png

and a bad pic of the intake.
wing_20100817_1187413860.png

James

James, good to see an update on this. Great work your doing here. Yea, we all need better cameras! Keep at it and keep posting. I really like this build....Harv :silly:

Hi James,
glad to see you're making good progress. Make mine look very puny ! About the engine, why not just remove one of the access panels ?
Looking good by the way, but I don't understand how both you and Moon pup can build a tank on one side of the table and an aircraft on the other. :woohoo:

Christian

Back