• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sturmovik

phantom II wrote:
Hi James,
glad to see you're making good progress. Make mine look very puny ! About the engine, why not just remove one of the access panels ?
Looking good by the way, but I don't understand how both you and Moon pup can build a tank on one side of the table and an aircraft on the other. :woohoo:

Christian

I dont know ether. Tough to do more than one thing at the same time. Whats even tougher are the 2 figures I'm painting at the same time. But as long as I'm having fun I guess its all good.
James

The bottom line is always to have a good time. I sometimes wish I would have a broader field of endeavor but when it comes down to it its about enjoying what I do and finding the time to do it. Even taking pictures and posting them takes away my time.

Christian B)

Looking good, James. I know what you mean about cameras - I'd buy a better one, but then I think of all the nice models I could buy with the cash. I was wondering what to do with the empty hole where the carbeurator filter was and I came up with the same idea of using a tube. The only thing about yours is it should be flush with the wing surfaces. I know, it's always something. Keep up the good work and looking forward to more pictures!

Regards,

Jason

I have a very good camera, but it doesn't take macro shots very well. Plus I'm a crummy photographer. Well got the wing intake done I think.

wing2_20100818_1334085346.png

Now on to the engine so I can start buttoning up the fuse.

James

Some more done

Front cooler shutter

front_oil_cooler_1_20100829_1713875398.png

Rear

rear_oil_cooler_1_20100829_1702866414.png

Boot from miliput. First attempt at this type of thing. Need some work, but not too bad.

boot_4_20100829_1635658056.png

Whole fuse. Need to fix a few spots and then get wings done.

fuse_2_20100829_1615097396.png

James

just came across this one. as others have said this would not be out of place in the tank section. keeping an eye on things here while waiting for the wheeled version to come out. ive been wanting to build a combination of vehicle and aircraft dio for a long long time. so please keep on posting

modelguru wrote:
Learstang welcome aboard....... hey love your avatar that is a cool pic.

Thank you for the welcome, modelguru! The avatar is of a winter-camouflaged straight-winged two-seater with two 37mm cannons hung underneath the wing. I intend on doing a model of it some day. Alex, this ski-equipped IL-2 (or the wheeled version) would look great next to a winter-camouflaged 1/35th scale T-34/76, with the tank having some suitably large patriotic slogan splashed across it. That would make a great winter diorama, if you could find the space for it!

Regards,

Learstang

Learstang wrote:
Alex, this ski-equipped IL-2 (or the wheeled version) would look great next to a winter-camouflaged 1/35th scale T-34/76, with the tank having some suitably large patriotic slogan splashed across it. That would make a great winter diorama, if you could find the space for it!

It can also now be done in 1/72nd scale or even 1/48th!

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Learstang wrote:
Alex, this ski-equipped IL-2 (or the wheeled version) would look great next to a winter-camouflaged 1/35th scale T-34/76, with the tank having some suitably large patriotic slogan splashed across it. That would make a great winter diorama, if you could find the space for it!

It can also now be done in 1/72nd scale or even 1/48th!

Regards,

It would certainly be a lot easier to do in 1/72nd scale. As a matter of fact, I'm part of the way there as I have no less than four Shturmoviks in winter camouflage. All I need is a T-34/76 (I have a T-34, but it's a T-34/85 and unsuitable to go with my single-seaters and my early two-seater). Speaking of which, can you recommend any good T-34/76 kits in 1/72nd scale?

Regards,

Learstang

Looking good James, the miliput work is fine. Maybe some Mr Surfacer to even out the surface..did I just make a "duh"?

moon puppy wrote:
Looking good James, the miliput work is fine. Maybe some Mr Surfacer to even out the surface..did I just make a "duh"?

:laugh: No. Actually I need to get agressive with it I think and use a course grit then putty it again. Its a learning experience as the most I have ever tried to do with miliput is make a blob and call it sandbag and fill in a seam on a figure.
James

Without hijacking James' thread, Dragon does have some nice 72nd scale T-34s you could use.

Regards,

sharkmouth wrote:
Without hijacking James' thread, Dragon does have some nice 72nd scale T-34s you could use.

Regards,

Thank you, Saul, I'll look for those T-34's! James, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the surface too smooth, as this was a leather boot, so it'll need some wrinkles and creases applied to it anyway. I'll be interested to see how you go about it, as I haven't gotten to that point yet. Right now, I'm working on the engine and finishing up the cockpit (just glued the fuel tank in, but now I have to scratchbuild the rather complicated booster/primer pump on the front starboard portion of the cockpit floor - fun, fun, fun!). Did you build the engine, or did you do the wise thing and just make enough of it to hold the exhausts?

Regards,

Jason

Learstang wrote:
sharkmouth wrote:

Regards,

Thank you, Saul, I'll look for those T-34's! James, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the surface too smooth, as this was a leather boot, so it'll need some wrinkles and creases applied to it anyway. I'll be interested to see how you go about it, as I haven't gotten to that point yet. Right now, I'm working on the engine and finishing up the cockpit (just glued the fuel tank in, but now I have to scratchbuild the rather complicated booster/primer pump on the front starboard portion of the cockpit floor - fun, fun, fun!). Did you build the engine, or did you do the wise thing and just make enough of it to hold the exhausts?

Regards,

Jason
I just made enough engine to hold everything. I wont make the pump this time and will have the canopy closed. Will do more on the next one I get.

James

jknaus wrote:
moon puppy wrote:

:laugh: No. Actually I need to get agressive with it I think and use a course grit then putty it again. Its a learning experience as the most I have ever tried to do with miliput is make a blob and call it sandbag and fill in a seam on a figure.
James

You got me beat, I have some and haven't even opened the package.

Hi James!

...this Sturm...is one of my favourites...and you are doing a great job on this heavy bird...I´ll following this thread with a big attention...maybe on a near future I´ll build another one like this...good luck my friend!

Best regards from these frozen lands ....

luiz.

Back