• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Star Wars Tropic Speeder

I have a hankering for doing some sci-fi...just gotta figure out what I want to do....this is very cool!

Likin' this, Jeff. Multiple green digital camo, maybe ?? :evil:

... Thinking I'd like to do something similar with Bens' STAP & Battle Droid, but he's insisting that it looks exactly like the photo on the box... :S - I've produced a six-year-old 'perfectionist' !!

Ian.

Great idea! Cant wait to see how this turns out.

I've got this kit in my stash, and have had several idea's on how to build mine, but something like this never occurred to me!

Likin' this, Jeff. Multiple green digital camo, maybe ?? :evil:

... Thinking I'd like to do something similar with Bens' STAP & Battle Droid, but he's insisting that it looks exactly like the photo on the box... :S - I've produced a six-year-old 'perfectionist' !!

Ian.

:blink :hmmm

I was just thinking some colored stripes and spots. :hmmm

Now you have me thinking something totally different :eek:hyeah

Thanks Ian! :good:

Great idea! Cant wait to see how this turns out.

I've got this kit in my stash, and have had several idea's on how to build mine, but something like this never occurred to me!

Well that is what is cool about Scifi. I was thinking about doing a black Star Trek ship :drinks

Some more work done on this

replaced the warped cannons with styrene tubing

DSC02772_zpsdgivmk2j.jpg

then on to painting -

I really had a modified Merdc camo/ French Char B1 on my mind and when Ian suggested digital paint, I yeah that would be cool. I set off on my image in my head to paint and mask.
A couple notes to make here are;

1) plan on a lot of masking
2) work your paint backwards, as in light to dark not dark to light
3) bright colors look best
4) a pattern would probably good advise, instead of "winging" it :idonno
5) there is a lot of masking
6) measure out the masking so it breaks down in fourths, eighths and such, freehand is not a real good option with digital

All I will say it has paint, not wild about it, paint is staying. If the pictures ran backwards in the painting stage this project would look better. Not pictured is the silver paint on all the edges and a coat rubber cement on top of that.

DSC02773_zpsz4wrupwc.jpg

I went with triangles on the bottom, not sure why but I did. In hindsight should have worked the colors backwards also, and added more triangles.

DSC02774_zpsxaclonw0.jpg

spots up top and more blue on the bottom

DSC02775_zpss5yjbqq2.jpg

DSC02776_zpscb1fseyd.jpg

DSC02780_zpsxtn2qidr.jpg

the speeder started to look like a frog at this point to me

DSC02777_zpsmk55yryk.jpg

DSC02778_zpsifjuz34j.jpg

DSC02779_zpsfjkvkzca.jpg

DSC02781_zpsgevkzcdd.jpg

final coats of paint top and bottom

DSC02782_zps2bwnce6p.jpg

masking off

DSC02783_zpsheotjjqm.jpg

DSC02784_zpspmj6xffd.jpg

DSC02785_zps8ep5qacw.jpg

DSC02786_zpsy8grfepc.jpg

shot of the compartment under the brake

DSC02788_zpsqyugpqqx.jpg

I realized while taking the masking off I did the paint and masking backwards for the look I was thinking. Another thing was (not sure what I thinking here) but I used the light green as a primer. Looks kinda goofy to me with the damaged edges. Live and learn. Not messed up enough where I can't live with it.

:drinks

Very nice job on the Paint Jeff ..... I don't think digital is for me but ..... very interesting paint job ..... Looks great ..... :eek:ldguy

Back