• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spad XIII

Ted

This is the 1/32 Hobbycraft Spad XIII. It is a nice kit and most of it fits really well. I added a bit of detail to the cockpit (fuel line, seat cushion, seatbelt) and painted it with acrylics and some oil paint for texture and washes. I picked up this 1/16 bust of Eddie Rickenbacker to display it with.

IMG_8138.jpg

IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8140.jpg

The Spad's interior looks great and I know The Rickenbacker bust sculpted by Mike Good will add to the display.
good luck and have fun.

alex wence, so/tex830

Wow Saul, thanks, I painted them and gave them a light wash with brown oil paint.

Thanks Alex, I didn't know Mike Good sculpted it. I found it for $2 at a model show, I guess it came with the Dragon 1/48 SPAD.

Re:Spad XIII with paint

Did the 5-colour camouflage and decalled. The top wing was a challenge to assemble and align. Now for detail painting, weathering and rigging :S

I kept getting flashbacks of building the Revell SPAD and Fokker Triplane when I was nine. I remember painting it with Testors enamels in the glass jars.

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

It's looking good Ted :) . I think I might get myself a WW1 fighter. What would you recommand as a good kit to start with? 1/32

Thanks John.

I've only built this and the Academy Nieuport 17. The SPAD is nicely detailed and fits well. I have a Wingnuts SE5a and it looks amazing. I haven't seen a Roden kit up close but I hear that they're great. I guess I'd recommend a Wingnut Wingskit because of the high quality and free worldwide shipping. For a simpler, cheaper kit, this review says that the newer Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel kit is good.

Hi Ted, The flying thingy here looks Great (y). Your extra work pays off when you peek in the cockpit.

Wonderful paint job on the plane and the bust!!

Randy

Back