• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Site for Sore Eyes

DioRandy

Hey, gang
It's been a long time since I posted anything and even longer since I attempted to resume work on my Charlie Don't Surf build -- mainly because of some extremely frustrating health and vision problems.
Over the past week, my physician told me I have arthritis in my hips and knees, which makes me feel twice my age, and I picked up my first pair of prescription glasses, which are bifocals.
I'm finding it very difficult adjusting to the bifocals, which allow me to read, but makes tinkering with 1/35-scale objects nearly out of the question. Damn it!
Nonetheless, I still enjoy logging on to this amazing site and viewing the works of so many diverse and talented artists. Keep up the good work!
Peace and Love,
Randy

Hi Randy,

I do hope your health improves and you get used to bifocals. I find using my Optivisors helps quite a bit. Strong reading glasses (the cheap kind) can do the job of the lower part of the bifocals without having to point your nose at it.

Regards,

I feel for you Randy. I cant help you with the arthritis because I haven't found a way to combat it either, but the bifocals I can give a suggestion. When your eyes get tired and ache, take the glasses off and let your eyes rest. Even for the rest of the day. You'll find your eyes adjust faster and you'll wear the glasses for longer periods. The eyes just have to get retrained to see again and like any muscle the more you push the longer it takes and the more it hurts. And as Saul said, optivisors. Good to see you back.
James

Randy, sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get things sorted out and get use to those glasses!!! (y):

Wow Randy my old modelling buddy of mine :)

Im sorry that you feel 160 yrs old mate :evil: :silly:

Hope you get used to the specs and hopefully see you around soon :)

Hey Randy,

You should be my age! Just adapt to it, buy yourself some optivisors and you're back in business. Start with a number 5 or 7. In a matter of time, you will get used to them and have many years of modeling ahead of you. (I also wear bifocals and have been since the 70s). No big deal!

I've been using them since the early 80s. So has Verlinden, Lewis Pruneau and many other of the old timers. Also, I have found that working with weights goes a long way toward easing the arthritis pain. Back in the early 80s, I had a friend who had a terrible case of arthritis in his hips, legs and feet. He could hardly walk. I got him into weight training and within a year, he was actually jogging. It is painful, but it does work, I'm a living example. I've had arthritis in my hands and arms for twenty years but you would never know it.

BTW, I own no stock in optivisors or gyms. Just good advice!(y) (y)

Keep the faith Baby!

Bob

Randy,
I used no line bifocals for years as I preferred to not have a line across the vision screen. They also adjust more gradually from one to the other setting for close up.
Good luck adjusting to them.
Cheers
John

Hi Randy , ........... sorry to hear this ........

Go to Walmart and get 3x cheaters in the optic department .

I used to wear bifocals but couldn't get used to them , ....... soooooo , I've got reading glasses [ script ] , driving glasses [ script ] and I use the 3x glasses for modeling .

It works !!!

I have degenerative arthritis in my lower back and knees , .......... Bob's right working out helps tons .
Well that and beer ....................

Back