• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scatt II

I had a good chance to do some bench time this evening. The grand kids were in the hall killing each other and their mother was sitting on her caboose yelling at them, all is sane in my house hold.

I assembled the harness for the seat and of course the pe took flight but I managed to find enough to have a half way decent looking setup. the belts are Tamiya tape about 1mm wide and a tad too long but hey, they look OK to me.

I also got a chance to finish some on the boom and installed the gear bay and engine and mostly painted the supercharger. I have some flat coat to go over it with and that will be much later.

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2966_2013-07-17.JPG

IMG_2967_2013-07-17.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

[
I finally got a chance to get a little more done to the P-38 this afternoon. I finished the boom assembly and then closed up the fuselage halves, it seemed to fit fairly well and I hd no difficulties with any of that part. I thought I could do the booms with out the gaps but no go there but no biggie.

so now it sits on the gear with 3/4 oz of egg sinker to hold it on the the gear and not the tail. After I get the elevator and horizontal stab on Ill see if I will need some more.

All-in-all it looks pretty nice just sitting here next to one of my 32 scale Spitfires and waiting to be finished but I will take a break for a couple days and do some of my shelf queens.

IMG_2970_2013-07-19.JPG

IMG_2971_2013-07-19.JPG

IMG_2972_2013-07-19.JPG

IMG_2973_2013-07-19.JPG

IMG_2974_2013-07-19.JPG

It sure does James.
One of my main concerns were the gaps in the wing nacelle fit. One wasn't as bad as I had feared and the other took some plastic from a for sale sign found at the local dollar store.

Now the other was the fit and alignment of the booms, however, I didn't have much to be concerned about there
because the fit pretty well and lined up like a champ. Not only that but they are straight also.

adding the horizontal stab did bring the weight back on the tail again so I will have to come up with a better solution and add more in the booms as well as the nose but more on that later.

Paul, thats pretty much how I handled mine. But one side was pretty bad, but I think a lot of it was my faul. Looking good though............Harv

It has been a while since I posted any updates of this one. I can see Harv's frustration but mine will never be a nice as his and I am not going to attempt it anyway.

I added the gun tray to the gun bay for something to mount the guns to and then dropped in 1 and 3/8 oz of lead ballast to the gun bay. Yep that nasty gap showed up on the right side and other gaps in other places.

Something appeared to inform me that I screwed the pooch in a step and have a really neat issue as a result.

I havent really thought how I will remedy this fauxpas but I'll get it done some time soon.

The rest of the build is doing as well as can be expected with a few minor glitches here and there but hey it looks like a big P-38.

Boy, that's a big bird :D . Must be a P-38 thing about the bits not fitting well.

Even the Revell P-38 of long ago had a lot of issues.

Good luck on this one Paul.

Cheers, Christian B)

A little 'off topic' but these two photos may show my Grandfather towing some of the first P-38's to arrive in the UK by ship along Queens Drive in Liverpool. My Dad had a half-dozen pics taken on the same day by a local photographer, probably from the local newspaper. Dad told me that the 'army' had recruited local truck-drivers as they didn't have enough of their own with the experience of hauling heavy articulated loads. My Grandfather was one of the 'civvies' who got the job, but there was a problem getting his truck coupled-up to the P-38, so he 'borrowed' one of the RAF's !!

The point I'm not really making is that I have a very personal interest in all P-38 builds regardless of colour scheme, theatre etc, etc, simply because I never met my Grandfather and I now have those photo's as a 'link' back to him.

....now, about this build. Great work, Paul, looking forward to 'painting time'.

Ian

If you are talking about the spinner, this kit is notorious for that.I did shim up the engines a bit, but in the end I cut the stub for the prop spinner off and will just glue the spinner to the boom.........Harv.

Back