• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Scatt II

Paulw

Since the P-51 is pretty much DIW the I thought I would go with one of Lt Robin Olds P-38.

3_113.jpg

and with all the problems that Harvey had with his Ill build mine from the Hobby Craft kit. Yeah I know its the same kit but I really dont care. I have it and it needs being built. sprue pics later.

here are the sprue shots and time card.

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

I hope this will work because it seems as if every time I try a gb something goes wrong one way or the other. I am in good hopes that this will pan out well.

Here is one of the engines that I primed today and did some experiments with dot filtering on the crank case.
I had this idea in my head that just wouldn't be placated until I tried it. I think it came out pretty well.
My no. one goal was to make it look used and tired so I think the case looks the part.
IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

Looks stellar Paul-- can I ask how you did it?
I sprayed the heads and rocker covers German gray because to me this replicates a "scale" black
. Medium sea gray used on the block then over shot it with Vallejo rust that was thinned about 10/1 with X-20A.
then I used acrylic craft paint for the dot filtering where i think I should have used some yellow also but the colors were red, chocolate brown and then forest green. It is my first attempt at dot filtering and I think it came out OK.

I really like the way the engines went together. all connections were almost snap tight.
So far no difficulties.

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

After dealing with some rather huge pin marks I went ahead and assembled the nose gear so I could get going on the pit. This is where the disappointment shows mostly in the ip. It is molded sort of in the reverse and that has pin marks on the face of the panel. There isn't much relief on the front but it looks like an IP.

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

Well Paul, just found this. Love the weathering on the engines. OOB they are blah as hell, but you make them look good ! Keep it up buddy..........Harv

Back