• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Viking Ship (Done!)

nerdling

I had planned on building the Heller Pinta for this campaign. But Sarah and I have been watching the Vikings on the history channel and I kept getting drawn towards this kit in the stash. From what I can tell it is based off the Gokstad ship that was found in 1880 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gokstad_ship So far all I can say is this kit looks very nice for the low price.

IMG_7438.JPG

IMG_7439.JPG

The following is the work I was able to complete after just an hour today.

IMG_7440.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

IMG_7442.JPG

At first I thought the plank layout looked odd but after looking at pictures this is how the actual ship looks.

Still trying to figure out the best way to paint this to make it look like real wood. I am thinking a base of Tamiya acrylics followed by either some oils or maybe even woodstain. I've seen where some people got a real nice look with that.

Revell Viking Ship

I think you have your work cut out for you there Ryan but no doubt it will be a nicely done build when you are through. as for the wood I would think it probably be black with pitch or some other water proofing.

Revell Viking Ship

There's a bunch of techniques painting wood Ryan, starting with this from Dad way back when the site starte.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/component/content/article?id=49:simulating-various-kinds-of-wood

Start with a light tan base and wash it with some dark brown oils, then maybe a dry brush of another dark brown. I've sealed with transparent red for more effect, think transparent yellow would work also. Oh man this should be fun!

:popcorn

Revell Viking Ship

Thanks for the interest guys. Yeah Dave I had never heard of it either until a few months back. From what I gather it came out back in the 70s but it sure is a nice kit. The only thing I can see that is missing is benches for the guys that were rowing. But then if it is based off the Gokstad ship it wouldn't have had them.

Not much going on with it today. Just doing some sanding and filling in the hull seam. Oh and beginning to tackle these... All 64 of them. Revell does provide decals for them but I am not sure how often Viking shields be be in multicolor designs. So I am thinking of doing half in blue and half in red.

IMG_7443.JPG

Revell Viking Ship

From what I have read on the subject they all had a small chest with extra clothes ect that they sat on to row. Storage and seats all in one. This might be of some help.
http://www.lore-and-saga.co.uk/html/viking_ships.html

ship1.jpg

James

Revell Viking Ship

Great, great project and very 'different'. For the hull I'd go with a very dark black-brown, the longboat that was recovered off the Isle of Man some years back was found to have a pitch tar coating presumably as a weatherproofing/sealant.

Ian

Revell Viking Ship

Done some more work on the Dawn of Valhalla as I've begun to call her hehe.

IMG_7444.JPG

Painted her in Tamiya XF-79 linoleum brown. I then mixed up a combination of oils including yellow ocher, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, and a bit of Lamp Black. I think it gives it a nice dark color. Hard to tell from the photos though

IMG_7445.JPG

I think once it is all done I will probably use a bit of Flory wash as well.

IMG_7446.JPG

Beginning the fun process of painting the shields. I went with Tamiya flat red and Vallejo Prussian Blue. The rims and center boss will be painted in Citadel Ironbreaker.

IMG_7447.JPG

Figured red was a good color for the sail. Not sure if it is accurate but several reports say that the English reported ships with red sails. Still needs another coat since it seems to have a darker section in the middle there.

Revell Viking Ship

Let me be the first to post....romeo foxtrot shall we dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOYlgvI1uE

Revell Viking Ship

I went to the hobby shop today. So glad I live a miles from one now instead of 130 miles. I was going to try some Citadel gold paint but they were out of every gold color except for Testors Acryl. I painted the figurehead and sternpost as well as the name plaque in Tamiya flat black. I then drybrushed gold over that. Thoughts and comments?

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7451.JPG

IMG_7449.JPG

Revell Viking Ship

I like it Ryan, maybe a little more to blend in the brush strokes on the name plate, figure heads look good, weathered and worn. :good:

Revell Viking Ship

If you go over it a second time Ryan try keeping the direction of the brush strokes going in the same direction. The name plate especially is a bit squirley in my opinion. Nice effect though with the gold over the black. (y)

Revell Viking Ship

As the others have said but I would also do a wash on the name plate to get some definition on the actual name. I think the figure head and stern should be wood though.
James

Back