• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell PBY Catalina in RDAF colours

Well, on the eve of the end of this GB, I have to say I won't make it. There's not a lot left to do, but I won't finish by tomorrow. So, I'll post what I have to date! Not such a big deal for you guys here though!

I got a second gloss coat on last night and it dried today. So tonight, I tried to apply a light wash. Just to dirty it up a little. I used Tamiya dark grey for this.

pb185_zps26458361.jpg

I started to apply it and it does look good, VERY subtle and just what I wanted but it doesn't show up in the pictures very well. All my reference pics seem to show a working plane with minimal weathering so that's what I was going for. Just wish it stood out a little more!

pb186_zpsafd477f8.jpg

I still find washes are a bit of a challenge to me, something I still need to work on!

getting the bottom messy...

pb187_zps6ec7067d.jpg

I finally plunked the wheels into their sockets, this worked out well!

pb188_zps991455d7.jpg

and then after a final flat coat, I took of the window masks!

pb189_zps11ebfeb9.jpg

pb190_zpsc76cb266.jpg

pb191_zps26d7512a.jpg

pb192_zps3830fafa.jpg

pb193_zps22abcd88.jpg

So, where I stand right now is she needs the maker lights added, the wire rigging, and I was hoping to add a bit more Tamiya smoke to the engine exhaust and try a bit of pastel powders for the final weathering. So close!

Anyway, I will have it completely finished soon! Feel kinda bad for not being able to complete it on my first group build!

Oh well! Here's a final pic for tonight.

pb194_zps82cb2938.jpg

:soldier

Don't look like much of a struggle to me, wash turned out really nice! :pilot

going gear up then? How do you intend to display when done?

Dane, MP, Paul and James,

Thanks guys! Glad you like it! This was a really fun kit to build. If anyone has one in their stash, I recommend it (despite the few problems).

I'm still going to finish this so expect a few more updates and some better pics soon!

MP, I have a few of these and wanted to do one with the gear up. I haven't seen many built and I've never seen anyone make one with the gear up. I'm planning on making some sort of stand to display it on. That'll come!

Thanks Ian, Phil and Sherman!!!

A week and a half late and I'm calling this one done!

All I did was add some weathering pastels to streak up a few areas of the plane, the marking lights and antennas. Anyway, here are the final pics! Hope you enjoy!!

pb197_zpsa5e86d5f.jpg

pb198_zps6b78cee8.jpg

pb199_zps97ad07eb.jpg

pb200_zpsdb1f93cc.jpg

pb201_zps8f41e316.jpg

pb212_zps0931ea42.jpg

pb202_zps1fa9905f.jpg

The rear marker light was replaced with a piece of clear sprue

pb203_zps21ac11c3.jpg

pb204_zps85142989.jpg

pb211_zps328642fd.jpg

Port and starboard marker lights were made by drilling a small hole in the back of a small piece of clear sprue and then filling it with the appropriate paint to simulate a coloured bulb.

pb205_zps9620d6a3.jpg

pb206_zps4e48b788.jpg

you can see the throttle quadrant

pb207_zpscdd435bd.jpg

pb208_zps60fb43ce.jpg

The marker beacon antenna

pb209_zpsfb3e1157.jpg

pb210_zpsa8e4fb99.jpg

pb207_zpscdd435bd.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all their help, comments and encouragement!
I appreciate it and it certainly helps with a challenging build! Now on to the next project!

Just working on a display stand for it now!

pb196_zps0ef6d5db.jpg

Now that is one very eyecatching Cat. Love the scheme you went with. Always wanted to build one of those 1/48 Catalinas. So what is next on the bench?

Thanks Guys!! I'm happy with this one!

:drinks

Nerdling, currently have 3 groups/campaigns for the year ( a Revell B-25J, the Noix R3C-1 and an Accurate Miniatures Yak-1). I have the Yak and the R3C started on here and will post the B-25 soon.

Got a couple others that are almost done that I hope to finish up soon too!

Lad, what a build! Fantastic!
The colors are wonderfull and became a different and amazing scheme! :ro:

A lovely bird and a lovely build!

Cheers :drinks

Art

Lovely! and I almost bought the same kit visiting my LHS - !! - but I had to resist - space to display!!

Back