• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell '29 Ford Roadster 85-4322 Done!

Revell '29 Ford Roadster 85-4322

Cool stuff Mike. I don't do cars but I did see an article once where the guy used white out (the strip not a fluid) and rubbed it onto the letters to make them white. Watching with interest.
James

Great idea . Sounds a lot like the idea for the rub on decal stuff .

Cheers, C. B)

More detail painting and some assembly today, making progress. Fit is very good.

he1e35c1.JPG

h62b86b8.JPG

h36db95f.JPG

h41ee9ab.JPG

h98fa76e.JPG

Looking less like a pile of parts and more like a roadster.

Thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Last edited:

Thanks, Chris and Dave for taking time to look and comment. :good: I actually got a little further with the assembly, this is where I left it last night.

h643bd8d.JPG

h5e1db2d.JPG

haabe6ad.JPG

hf9a42d4.JPG

h16cd1d8.JPG

hf1c77b3.JPG

Gotta touch up that steering wheel. :facepalm

The fit of the kit is quite good, usually by now I would have swapped out and kit bashed parts, but this is almost all Revell. I was skeptical about the variants with the part # snafu on the instructions and it proved to be the case when I went to install the exhausts. If you build this kit, I would highly recommend painting all the exhaust pieces and fitting them as you assemble. I had to paint the other exhaust pipes to get stuff to line up. We're getting closer...

Last edited:

Thanks,everyone! I had an incident with the first round of color coat,I always use Tamiya primers and since I didn't do much sanding,I went straight with the white extra fine. I've used the Testor lacquers over this primer before,so I was shocked that my first try dried with a crinkle! I let it dry a couple days and carefully wet sanded the body with 600 grit and lots of water. A couple very deep breaths and I let it fly again. Thankfully, the second go was smooth and without event. Why am I telling you this? Because I came across another builder who had similar experience and shared it on another site. I believe this phenomenon is caused by the plastic Revell is currently using. My older kits do not seem to be affected in this manner, so :hmmm :idonno Best advice, plan on a seal coat and sand like I did or switch paints. More to come,thanks for coming by.

Thanks James! Bob, I always use primer, especially with glossy auto type paints, it helps adhesion and stops the paint from "creeping" back from edges. What I meant by sealer would be the first coats of paint. I had no issues on the second round of paint (several mist coats 20 minutes apart, followed by a couple wetter coats), so whatever caused the crazing got buried (sealed) under the first round. :idonno

I would have thought that the White Tamiya primer would have sealed the plastic :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

It always has before, only thing different is this is a newer kit. :idonno

There was progress made last Sunday, but I hadn't posted the photos. I didn't like the way the kit exhaust tips looked, they were just kinda puny and the way the exhaust is situated, they would have been cocked at an angle. :S So I made some aluminum turn downs from K&S tubing. I got out my spring bender, it allows the tube to be bent without kinking.

h9ce46c5.JPG

h0fe980d.JPG

Making them long makes it easier to handle.

ha8be7be.JPG

I polished them with a dab of Flitz and the Dremel. Cutting them to length with a stop block and my razor saw was easy.

Here's the worst part of this kit. This is the clear windshield right out of the package.

hb8f7387.JPG

Thanks, Revell. 😠

Tried to sand and polish it, but this injury is terminal.

h75d9552.JPG

I'll make a replacement from .015 clear styrene, looks better anyway. That thickness is more to scale. Stay tuned, I may finish this sucker soon.

Thanks for coming by.

Last edited:

See!!! Model supplies are EVERYPLACE!!
You just have to have eyes to see! (OOPS! No Offence! sorry Mike!)
Awesome cool Build!!

Thanks, Chris in stereo! :laugh: Rhino, no worries.

hf481fb3.gif

Without you two and the support you have given me during the whole eye ordeal, I would have sold the stash and taken up gardening. :gogo

Carl.jpg

Here's where we are this morning.

Scratch built exhaust turn downs. Almost made it through an entire build out of the box. :S

h41a67b0.JPG

h9e2c353.JPG

This is a shot that you never want to see your rod in.

hbae7323.JPG

Well, from the lack of comments and views, I guess the hot rodder population on this site is kinda thin. I'll finish it up and post the final photos in a bit. In the meantime, can I make you some sandwiches?

h2e9fea0.jpg

Thanks for coming by.

Last edited:

Impressive Piping! I'm digging the color Too! How about a bow shot?
(y)
:coolio
:ro:

Back