• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 1/32 scale Heinkel He 162

Never a type I've thought about building, but you have me intrigued.... Oh no, I hear the card in my wallett screaming "NO MORE", :bang head

Ian

Now this build thread will start to get interesting...painting has started. :yipee

No pre-shading on this model, instead its kinda the reverse of pre-shading and could be called pre-lightening?
Darker RLM 65 instead of my usual pale RLM 76 was sprayed on and instead of using black paint to apply pre-shading on panel lines I used white paint sprayed on the panels themselves in dissimilar patterns leaving the panel lines untouched. When I go to spray on the thin coat of RLM 76 the panel lines and the variations on the panels will just barely still be seen. The effect I am after will be a patchy/worn look to the paint job and that will tie in nicely with the other weathering effects I have planned.

h6ae95d5.JPG

h2c555db.JPG

h1d3358f.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks guys, much appreciated! :notworthy

Yes the squiggles look odd in this instance but I want to see how this will look on the finished model, also the white highlights are airbrush practice instead of painting my paint mules like usual. I have not been practicing as much as I usually do.

Matrixone

Just the white highlights alone was not going to do and will be almost invisible once the coat of pale RLM 76 is sprayed on so I added some contrasting details with black paint mostly around the gun ports and the undersides of the wing roots. The gaps on the control surfaces were also sprayed with black paint.

h0c319df.JPG

h179133c.JPG

hfd55b1a.JPG

And below is a close-up of the wheels, I am finished weathering them and they are ready to be installed on the model.

h4c4961d.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks again Christian, and thank you Ian!

Here are some images of the pre-shading/white highlights after being covered up by a thin coat of Rlm 76.

hf7413de.JPG

h5badfa7.JPG

h7ef5dfc.JPG

Not too much of the white highlights remain but what there is of it left is the first part of the weathering process. :zen

Matrixone

Don't mean to sound rude but right now it looks like the slug trails I see in the morning.

Need to see where this goes.

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian,
Yes it looks like snails crap now but after the rest of the painting, weathering, and smaller details are on the model the snail trails will hardly be seen or noticed. :)
Trying scribble patterns for the white highlights is just an experiment that I wanted to try, I enjoy figuring out different ways of adding weathering effects during the painting process but realize not everything I try will work as I had hoped but I feel its better than using the same old weathering techniques that everybody else uses...wheres the fun in that? :idonno

Matrixone

Some painting done on this model today, as you can see the RLM 82 has been sprayed on. I do not care for the Model Master version of RLM 82 as its too light so I mixed this shade myself and got a dead on match for the RLM 82 color chip from Merrick's Luftwaffe colors book.
As can be seen on the profile views the color demarcation on the fuselage is curved on my model, this is because I am marking my model as a He 162 built by Junkers at Bernburg.

h47299e1.JPG

hab892d6.JPG

I like this pic below, it shows the white highlights and pre-shading to good effect. Its visible but not by much!
hddcb39b.JPG

h587bb20.JPG

This last pic has the color removed
hc602307.JPG

The engine cowling will be sprayed RLM 81 tomorrow.

Matrixone

Back