• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RAF double build - Phantom & Eurofighter

Really nice Job. I am partial to the Eurofighter, since there are a few flying overhead almost everyday! (Ulm is not far from the JG.74 Airbase in Neuburg an der Donau)

Good luck with the next steps!

Cheers

Alex

I miss living right near/on an airbase. I remember the mid 90's on Whidbey Island there was always a mix of aircraft overhead. A-6Es, EA-6Bs, P-3s, SH-60s and C-9s. The roar of those J52s...heaven. My first barracks room had a window that faced the ocean, overlooking the airfield. Sunsets were something special. B)

It's still busy out there, but the A-6s have been replaced with more P-3s and the EA-6Bs have been replaced with the EA-18G. Just not the same.

Coming alone nicely Ian. :drinks

Well done on those! Everything is looking grand so far. And no: it's not you. Too many people are too spoiled with all the newest kits with all the best bells and whistles. I myself still enjoy the Old School models.

I know what you mean, Alex. In January I was in Germany, my sister-in-law lives in Ingolstadt with Manching just 10km away, and later we spent some time in Trier where the 'local' Tornado's, Eurofighters and not-so-local F-16's were transiting constantly - must be a beacon nearby that they were turning on.

As for the models; the Phantom build is now finished, the seats done canopy in place and masked ready fro paint. I've applied the first metal tone (Alclad Duralumin) and after work today I'll mask and spray another metal tone, probably a dark aluminium.

The Typhoon is painted and drying as this is written - because the temperature here has taken a five deg drop, then drying-time has increased in-turn, so not ready for photos just yet.

Thanks for all the interest folks, really appreciate you following along. Photos again soon, perhaps this afternoon [my time].

AFN

Ian.

Day 5, 6 & 7
Quick update with photos:

h4417529.jpg

h03ca645.jpg

he39da28.jpg

h43ab3a8.jpg

All the 'metalwork' on the Phantom done. Alclad Duralumin with AK's Dark Aluminium, Aluminium & Chrome over a basecoat of Tamiya acrylic glossy black.

As mentioned, the Typhoon is painted:

h129acb4.jpg

h39fb9f8.jpg

ha2a768f.jpg

Again Tamiya acrylic glossy black as an overall basecoat (which I forgot to take a photo of :facepalm ) when it was dry(ish) I masked around the exposed areas on the fin and along the spine and shot two medium coats of Xtracolour enamel 'Barley Grey'. Unmasked it about an hour ago and all was as perfect as I could have wished for... Nothing to do to this for the moment except let it cure in the sunshine.

Next I'll start the camouflage on the Phantom. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Ian.

I know what you mean, Alex. In January I was in Germany, my sister-in-law lives in Ingolstadt with Manching just 10km away, and later we spent some time in Trier where the 'local' Tornado's, Eurofighters and not-so-local F-16's were transiting constantly - must be a beacon nearby that they were turning on.

Yes! She lives in a very privileged place aviationwise! Here over Ulm we don't see many Tornados, but actually quite a few F-18 from the Swiss air force which practice Overhead. Two days ago I saw 2 C-17 on route to the east, in Formation. And last week there were several Mirages 2000 cruising from France.

BTW, excellent Job on the planes!

Cheers

Alex

Magnificent paintwork man, I have tried forever to get that metal effect on my Phantoms and failed every time. Way to go!

Day 8 & 9
Phantom all coloured-in:

h87aa43f.jpg

h3676d79.jpg

hc5459ba.jpg

heae6861.jpg

...yep that seemed to go well !!. All enamels, Humbrol Light Aircraft Grey, Xtracolour Barley Grey, WEM Medium Sea Grey. Next, like the Typhoon, I'll leave it for a couple of days to completely dry/cure then a quick coat of Johnsons Klear.

More next week, have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

It isn't a race, Gary, you travel at your own speed. I'm enjoying these two so much that the builds are just 'happening'in front of me.

Still a fair way to go before I join the circuit :eek:ldguy

Ian.

Day 10, 11 & 12
Pro-Modeller/Flory wash going on:

h34a5f0c.jpg

h2697ccb.jpg

h312279c.jpg

hbdaf2f3.jpg

That was done this morning just before work, so left it whilst I made myself busy with plotting search areas, checking press releases, doing radio interviews and generally being a busy wee 'coastie. When I got in around 1400 I wiped the models clean and added the oil-dot wash to the Phantom, and later to the Eurofighter (but I forgot to take a photo of that !!) :facepalm .

h26475b9.jpg

h963ec18.jpg

ha2302d1.jpg

h703995e.jpg

h80db842.jpg

h3f10ad7.jpg

h64cf3c9.jpg

So all the 'dirty business' is done and tomorrow, stickers will occur !!. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment everyone.

Ian.

Back