• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Quick Question ?

paddy

I am currently working on a Tamiya 1/12 car which involves gloss paint and stripes.
I have used Tamiya masking tape as it gives a good sharp edge however inevitably, you get a build up of paint at the edge of the tape , its hard to photo but like this
DSC_3951.JPG

I'm thinking if i try and rub it back its going to feather the edge but i do have some 3000 grit cloth and i will gloss clear this so it will put a finish on it.

Any thoughts I'm sure others have sorted this in the past ?

Attachments

• DSC_3950.JPG
    DSC_3950.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 27
Good question, wish I could answer. :popcorn

Sanding off the ledge I would think but could expose the under coat. Maybe build up clear coat and sand smooth?

The best method is prevention, thin paint, low pressure, and spray the edges first aiming away from the tape, toward the center. To sand, put down the tape again before sanding and then sand. Probably not how the experts do it but it's what works for me. Yellow is probably the most challenging color with respect to this problem, and it may be better to let the paint film be a bit thin at the edges rather than add paint until you are sure of 100% coverage.

The best method is prevention, thin paint, low pressure, and spray the edges first aiming away from the tape, toward the center. To sand, put down the tape again before sanding and then sand. Probably not how the experts do it but it's what works for me. Yellow is probably the most challenging color with respect to this problem, and it may be better to let the paint film be a bit thin at the edges rather than add paint until you are sure of 100% coverage.
i-completely-agree-agree.gif

Back