• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panel line scriber and riveter, what do y'all recommend?

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
It looks like I'll be stepping off into the deep end on my journey into things that fly. Therefor looking of some recommendations and how-toos for panel lines and riveting...in 1/48 scale.
:victory:

Wish you had posted this yesterday, I was rescribing some lines yesterday.

There are templates you can get that are different shapes, sizes that you can scribe out missing panels.
Archer also makes some resin features like inspection panels and gas filler ports. I've used them on the Comets and currently the ME262.

But the old school way, use that thick tape that comes with those Dymo/Rotex label makers, it's rigid and helps scribing. Run your scriber down that line.

What I ended up doing yesterday was take my #11 new sharp blade (since I have a problem drawing a straight line) and laying down to make sure I'm on the line I want and then pressing hard on it. Kinda saw into the surface. That'll give me a guide for my scribe to make a deeper line.

Does any of this make sense?

So if I read this right when scribing you lay down...like on a bed? :blink

JK of Course! yeah I see what your saying and it makes sense. So what do you use to make the actual line with...scriber wise that is?

I'll get a picture later. One tool is like a nail embedded in a handle. Back of the point of a #11 will work. There's all sorts of chisel type tools out there that might be overkill IMHO. UMM Models has a verity of stuff.
Looking at the tools might give you an idea of what you can use instead.

This one is my go to tool.

I figured UMM would be the place to go. But I'll see if I whip up something homemade too.

I forgot about the rivets.

Archer to the rescue.

Then there's the wheel based ones. I think Paul made a tool out of a watch gear. I got a set of wheels but never had much luck with them.
Are we sure Archers isn't closed? I bought some discontinued Archer 1/48 resin decal louvers from Dragon Models for like 5 times the usual price.
They are for the Great Waldo Pepper's 1/48 Curtiss Standard J-1 conversion.

I have had the Bare Metal scriber for a long time and it is pretty good. If you can afford them, Tamiya makes a range of scribing tools in different widths that are very good and cost as much as a kit. I have two of them. They fit in a pin vise and I like them very much.

I Forgot i also have the Tamiya Fine Engraving Blades/scribers they are really good (thanks for remembering me )
You dont need to sand your panel lines ,if you really take good care of them .

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies. This gives me a good starting point.
:victory:

Back