• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Painting aluminum,and PE

Teaker11

what is the best primer that wont scratch off at the tinest touch :( , have the piece painted just right and have scraped the paint with my finger nail,I hAVE TRIED Model Master, Tamiya Mr color , floquil , testors. the only thing I havent tred is auto primer. it seems too me that the paint needs to etch the metal, any suggestions? Im almost to the point of Quit useing pe when I dont need to.
thanks
Jim

well, my answer to all primiming questions is Craetex Autoair Base (just type this 3 words in google and you'll find it) But that's just me :)

Your problem sounds like there is some oily stuff left on the metal parts.

If nothing helps I would suggest to take some tooth paste and polish the parts.

I usually wipe the parts down with laquar thinner. and only handle at the last minute to keep oil transfer from my hands to a minimin. I think I will give automotive primer a try
thanks Guys
JIm

Teaker11 wrote:
I usually wipe the parts down with laquar thinner. and only handle at the last minute to keep oil transfer from my hands to a minimin. I think I will give automotive primer a try
thanks Guys
JIm

To answer the finger oil problem, rubber gloves or latex gloves work very well. Just be sure to get the non powdered kind. I get mine from the pharmasist and turn them after each job. A box of 100 costs something like $8.00 up here.
HTH
James

As mentioned above, there must be some sort of residue that preventing the primer from binding. I've been using Tamiya Extra Fine Surface Primer on white metal and PE for a few years now, and never had the problem you mention. I normally just give a light wash with (tap) water and a mild dish-washing detergent. In the case of the WM figures I heat them slightly with a hair dryer before spraying, but I would not recommend this with PE mounted to a plastic model - you may just have a blob of plastic left :laugh:

Tried Tamiya Fine Surface Primer after it was suggested to me previously and have not had trouble with it so far so I can vouch for it also.

The only one you have not tried yet would be your best bet as mentioned as automotive primers etch the surface of most metals which sounds like exactly the thing you are after.

I use Carr's metal black for steel/white metal for brass parts. It gives bit more tooth for paint to grip, and if paint should come off for some reason there's still brownish black metal under.

Back