• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-51D Mustang, now with more Horses

RichB

p51ram.jpg

8fac3438f5da34d7fcf640007907f4fa.jpg

P-51D (44-63528), built 20 Nov 1944, 341 flying hours, crashed 19 Aug 1948.

Modified in 1946 with 2 Marquardt XRJ-30-MA Ramjets. Fuel for the Ramjets was fed from the wing tanks with the pumps, solenoids, etc in the gunbays. The jets provided a 10-12% increase in top speed (40-50 mph).

On its final flight, 1st Lt Paul Chell was at the controls. Take-off was normal and the planned test points were being flown. Fifteen minutes into Ramjet operation the RH jet flamed out. A normal restart was carried out and 1-2 minutes later the engine flamed out again. During the second restart attempt, an explosion was heard and lateral control was lost. Flames were observed approx. 1 ft from the wing root. Fuel was turned off, power reduced, aircraft brought into a stall and canopy jettisoned. The pilot egressed when the aircraft was inverted. The suspected cause of the explosion/fire was fuel leak and electrical short.

Startup pics of the Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D with Ramjets to follow.
000_0002.JPG

Cheers,
Rich

The box has been opened.

start~1.jpg

The base is a standard Hasegawa P-51D kit, JT-14 (less decals)

Instr.jpg

Sprue1.jpg

Sprue2.jpg

Sprue3.jpg

Two types of prop blades and lots of external stores for the spares box.

Add.jpg

Added instructions, resin pods and decals for the Ramjet aircraft. The insignia have separate red bars for pre or post 1947 styles. They also the ivory cast so I will likely liberate some insignia from a Tamiya P-51. Two styles of canopy are also included. Ultracast seats are on the way.

Cheers,
Rich

So just stick the ramjets on the end on the wing tips, just like North American probably did :rotf

Fuselage halves joined, replacement seat is "in the mail". Wings tips clipped to fit the Ram Jets and panel lines puttied. Fuselage press fir into wings for the photo.

Overall~0.jpg

Ckpt1~0.jpg

Wingfil.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

So just stick the ramjets on the end on the wing tips, just like North American probably did :rotf
:geek
Nice progress Rich but what is all those hairs?

I have "helpers" that believe the photo light cube I set up is a tent for them to sleep in.

Cheers,
Rich

Didn't you know... It is a campaign tent for them and they just allow you to use it to take photos. That's how my cats see things anyways.

Back