• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

P-51D, Philippine Shark 72nd Academy

tausugair

4vrew3.jpg

I have finished this subject long time back but never got it shared with kind people here . .This was the first build for me coming back to modeling aircraft after decades of absence .. This also served as test bed for the first HARIBON Decal sheet (The Shark of Zambales) . . The model wore the pre-production HARIBON Decal of the two types of markings the original aircraft carried thought out its service life..on the starboard ( seen on the header photo above) is the late markings while the port the early one...
10ylyl5.jpg

The subject was a P-51D Mustang of the Philippine Air Air Force nicknamed "The Shark of Zambales" . It was the personal aircraft of the 5th Fighter Wing Major Benito N Ebuen (late 40s to early 50s). Ebuen rose to become the Philippine Air Force and the Presidential Plane Pilot where in the later concurrent capacity he got killed in the crash of presidential C-47 plane "Mt. Pinatubo" on Mt Manunggal in Cebu in March 1957.. the Philippine President Ramon Magsayssy was also killed, with several staff, in that crash...

28svwk7.jpg

6hkco3.jpg

20p51l3.jpg

ff4rrc.jpg

Paint used was Krylon Chrome automotive enamel with pencil graphite for metal tones... but, panel line washes/weathering were intentionally skipped . .

(since the taking of the photos the graphics had been refined to commercial quality) . . and, below is a beauty shot of "The Shark of Zambales" with a (what if) companion:
15mzmnr.jpg

And, finally the "LIGHTER SIDE" of the Shark.. when I get to it in the comind days:
4t6a0x.jpg

thanks for viewing and for allowing this post ... regards to all...
TausugAir

Farouk

I have these decals and they are wonderful. I especially liked the makeshift home remedies for the decal solvent.

Farouk, please elaborate on the sugar vinegar and other home techniques.

Regards,

Back