• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My Theme Builds...

It's possible . I have only seen one Albatros and it was in Coast guard white/red .

I was hopping to learn more :hmmm

Cheers, Christian B)

Oh so yer after Coasties... Plenty of info on them, just google HUI-16. :good: Sorry, I'm workin' on the Albatros on another thread. Will start a PBY here soon

Not particularly as my interest is WW II related.

However, general knowledge is still good :D

Cheers, Christian

It's possible . I have only seen one Albatros and it was in Coast guard white/red .

Cheers, Christian B)

Oh so yer after Coasties... Plenty of info on them, just google HUI-16. :good: Sorry, I'm workin' on the Albatros on another thread. Will start a PBY here soon

Not particularly as my interest is WW II related.

However, general knowledge is still good :D

Cheers, Christian

True Dat!! KNowledge is good :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Google image surfing the Albatros today, what else am I going to do :sick:
None of the silver ones look NMF, they look painted.

Here's the report of the rescue...

he544bb1.jpg

More info has come my way! (y) :woohoo: :geek Seems the BuNo for this rescue It was BuNo 04413! And, one of the crewmen was named Harold Freed who had flown with my cousin from JAN to JUNE 1944!! I'm currently waiting for scans of the guy's logbook!! :mpup

How about that, small world ain't it Eddie. (y)

Yes it is!! (y) :D And there's a guy on Facebook that has an article on another pilot from VP-53 whom had rescued like 13 others from VMF-422 & busted up his aircraft in the process...

I received copies of the logbooks [of Harold Freed] from Nov 1943 to June 1944 which lists the few different pilots he flew with and, the BuNos: of the diferent aircraft they flew & the duration of each flight. Interesting info!! He flew with my cousin a number of times from JAN to June 1944. Still don't know if the guy is alive or not. Seems the guy that has the logbook got it off Ebay.

If things work out today, I may git ta use da airbrush on my F4D & F2H :hmmm :D :popcorn

Well, after an hour of fighting with the a/b I finally got a coat of paint on them! :woohoo: :D But, seems the a/b didn't wanna co-operate at first. I usually run thinner thru it before using & sprayed properly then once I mixed up my MM Enamel paint with thinner, it refused to spray :huh: :unsure: ok, so, I thinned it a little more, adjusted the psi up & down until I started getting somewheres.
I have 3 a/bs & 2 of them are acting up so, brought out my trusty ol' Badger 175 I've had about 10 yrs.
Stay tuned for pics... good bad or ugly, tthere'll be some pics :popcorn

Looks like good coverage. You showed that AB who's boss :bat
I had to!! :evil: Weather was just right for me to spray & I didn't wanna haveta wait to do it :eek:hyeah
I'll post more pics tomorrow after it's dried & decide if I should peel off the tape....

The Ford turned out purty good & will get some Orange before too long :dance The Banshee needs anutter coat o gray before I can go any further on her... :facepalm

Thanks to an old friend, I was given a link to some info on the PBY-5A of VP-53 and lo N behold...
:captain

he5384bf.jpg

Look at the top right 53 P 15....
Upon further review of the logbooks of Ens. Freed, I've come to the conclusion that BuNo: 04413 became their usual aircraft!
53 P 15 (53 13)

I've been busy scouring the web for info on VP(B)-53 for 1944 and very little info has been found on the VP Navy sites, the PBY Association sites, Naval Historical Center site. Even attempted to email people on the VP Navy site but, all the emails bounced. I left a message on their Guest Book so, may be someone will see my query and respond... :unsure:

I did find a couple pics taken on Majuro Atoll in mid 1944 of LCDR Quillen's bird (53 84)

h8640451.jpg

h48d30ba.jpg

Looks like it's in the tri-color scheme to me.

Now here's another pic of a VP-53 aircraft on Green Island 1945 which is definately a Black Cat.

hcc335cd.jpg

Ok, so, in the meantime, I'ma gonna concentrate on the interior of this build....

I've been waiting on a copy of the story of the rescue of VMF-422 & received it today. Very interesting read. It was found in the JAN 2015 Aviation History Mag. New facts (to me) came to life. The guy my cousin rescued, Lt. Robert "Curly" Lehnert USMC bailed from his Corsair after a squadron mate ditched & had no raft! So, Curly slowed his bird down, jumped at 2,000' in a futile attempt to assist his friend. His friend was lost at sea.

Still trying to determine if the PBY was in Tri-color Scheme or a Black Cat. Leaning towards the Tri-color...

Eddy, I think you'd be shocked to find a cousin who was not in the service. :rotf

Yer probably right on that! LoL :tomato But, this one earned the Navy & Marine Corps Medal for savin' a USMC pilot who jumped out of a perfectly good airplane... :facepalm Ok, Someone shared a linky with me on a video of VMF-422 which mentions my cousin by name & shows a few PBYs in it. Which I'm getting ready to watch...

Here's the link https://vimeo.com/53437571

Back