• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My foray into the world of 3d printing.

Looks great to me, what's the problem?
Nothing...just getting all my t's crossed and I's dotted..lol

A little more progress!
wheel1.PNG

wheel.PNG

Some more progress. Got both ends printed off. Got hung up on the designing the treads..what I thought was going to be fairly simple, has been difficult...still playing with the tire design..my test print on that failed..
20230122_121227.jpg

20230122_220703.jpg

Call it the Slick tread tire..little know and rarely used... :rotf

Love the progress you're making Mo

Reactions: Mo_
I know that most would not notice and wouldn't care, but it is the level of detail I see in things. I applaud the amount of detail you have on these parts, but, the D shaped holes on the left hand part are all slightly tilted counter clockwise. If you had one of the holes set at the top and draw a line down through the D aligned with it the line would end up just a little right of the wheel center. I was a draftsman for many years and I can see and notice stuff like this. Don't worry about it as no one else will ever notice.

I understand what you are saying Eagle and I see it now. I do not know if I can go back and change it now. Working on the tread now. I'm not set on the design yet...but it was a small victory just to get it to this point. AND yes I know the tread it too tall...I left it that way to give me a good visual.
treadtest.PNG
sidewheel.PNG

Fresh off the overnight print..some people drink coffee to get going..I sniff resin 🤪. I already see some changes I will have to make. But its progress. I printed this test as a whole assembly.
20230125_062835.jpg

20230125_062951.jpg

20230125_063055.jpg

One can barely see the twisted D shaped holes on these close-ups so they will be OK by me in 48th. I'd be happy with the disks to use with my leftover tires. By the way, also used on the T-6 (Texan series).

There are some print lines are visible, will they be after a primer coat? Just amazing.

Alot of that has to do with either 2 things. The angle of the object or my VAT screen needs replacing. But for now since I'm not really going for quality I'm just leaving it a simple set up. I've already replaced the VAT screen once, and I think this replacement screen is low quality. I noticed lines in the film as I was installing it. But as I'm still learning all this, I just went with it.

Most videos you watch and articles you read, you align the print object at around a 45 angle..I have dome that in the past and it really helps.

Alot of that has to do with either 2 things. The angle of the object or my VAT screen needs replacing. But for now since I'm not really going for quality I'm just leaving it a simple set up. I've already replaced the VAT screen once, and I think this replacement screen is low quality. I noticed lines in the film as I was installing it. But as I'm still learning all this, I just went with it.

Most videos you watch and articles you read, you align the print object at around a 45 angle..I have dome that in the past and it really helps.

I think most of this is just a problem with the way it print the layers. I'm sure as technology progresses it will get better. The early printers was way obvious. That's one reason I held off until now.

Re did the tread, like it better. Also reworked the holes in the hub. They still are not prefect, but I want to emphasize that I'm still learning the 3D cad software. I have maybe alittle over 1 month using it. There is ALOT to it. I also set the tire back a touch from the hubs to give a tire bead impression..if you will. Also set the tread depth. Printing some test right now.
wheel_REV2.PNG

wheel_REV2back.PNG

tread_REV2.PNG

Last edited:
Those holes definitely look much better. Overall it looks like you have the 3D program down pretty good. There is definitely something off with the printer. It does not look as smooth as many of them do. What is the resolution of the print table? Also, if I remember correctly, the depth of the print layers should be changeable. That could diminish some of the print lines due to layering. You might check the print surface for defects that could be causing the big straight line in the side of the tire. As a worse case there could be a problem with your digital screen that allows exposure of the resin from underneath.
I think you have the part well enough along. Time to refine the print problems. Definitely curious about what is causing the trouble.

Try printing it at an angle. Do you change the resin after each print or leave it and add more? If so I recommend getting a silicone spatula and stirring the resin and then shaking the new resin up before adding it. Then when added stir again. It could be the resin separating or as it gets older. Also maybe change your supports to make it a bit stronger. If the supports are not strong enough or there arent enough the print may move some while printing which will lead to striations. Finally did you change the FEP recently? If so maybe it is too loose? Big thing though, I would change the angle and the supports.
James

Reactions: Mo_
I made some changes, screen, resin, and messed around with the supports. After I printed off the first tire I made I realized it was to tall and wide. So I had to change some dimensions which also meant re doing the tread...the old one step forward and 2 back. I got that done yesterday while doing that I added a valve stem just to see if it would print, it did. But I noticed my tread spacing is off . So I have to see why.

I did print multiples off yesterday at various angles and picked the best looking one to assembly as a wheel. All in all its not bad to the naked eye. I gave it a prime coat then the tire color and a gloss, then wash and flat coat.

This is the size difference between the 2. this larger one in on the Left, Im going to leave that design alone as it might be ok for A bomber or something
tire3.jpg

Next is the best out of all the prints.
tire.jpg

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

these are the others, you have to look close to see the lines. I think 1 or 2 would past muster
tires.jpg

tires1.jpg

I think 1 or 2 would past muster

Next while I had my primer out I primed some exhaust I printed while back. There are various changes between the 3.
exhaust.jpg

exhaustside.jpg

Back