• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My foray into the world of 3d printing.

After some half failed prints, I was really scratching my head. I won't bore with the nity gritty details unless folks really want to know.
While I'm absolutely new to this game...I do know the quality of components can make a big difference. And things aren't always right from the factory.

I was starting to get some compression problems. You can see it in what is called an Exposure test. The right test bottom left shows this really well. The left test is great. They only difference between the 2 is the mods I made and changing resin.

I'd have to do another test print with the first resin that I was using to see if the mods made a difference...or its just the resin.
20221224_171810.jpg

The resin that I was using is by the same company that makes the printer I bought.
Screenshot_20221224-173121_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This is the resin I just switched to. I read the thread by jknaus and when I ordered all my stuff I got a bottle of this.
Screenshot_20221224-173024_Amazon Shopping.jpg

More testing will have to be done to be sure what I'm doing is working. But right now it looks promising. Or I'm just high on resin and alcohol fumes.

If you change resin just make sure you get the companies suggested curing time for your machine and use as the starting point. Sirya tech is here:
James

Finally printed off a tool holder I've been working on here and there. While it looks simple it was actually quite challenging. I was using a home brew holder that was doing the job. It came out ok...more me not fully understanding how a design translates into a file for the printer.
20221225_171333.jpg

20221225_171344.jpg

20221225_171353.jpg

That is kind of cool. I need to work harder at making my tool ideas come out. Is it hollow or solid? If hollow dont forget to either leave holes for the resin inside to expand or to allow you to cure inside. I made a simple little box and 3mm UV LED to cure inside my hollow stuff.
James

Yes it hollow, except for tubes to keep the brushes vertical. And I forgot about the drain holes...fu$*$*$#* engineer that designed this thing...LOL I made some holes and let it drain then put it outside for the day in the sun.. seems ok now.

Is this for a specific kit or in general? Looks great!
I'm working around the eduard 1/48 mustang, but really should work with any mustang with some mods. I did subscribe to an online database that has TONS of blueprints. I have to scratch my head why eduard did the exhaust the way they did after looking at multi blueprints. The back half that is giving me problems ATM is completely wrong.

What program are you using Mo?
Fusion360.

Back