• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My foray into the world of 3d printing.

Mo_

While I wait for my 3d resin printer to arrive, I need to learn all that goes with it. Right now I'm using fusion360. There are many 3d software out there. Some are big bucks to get the most out of them. I'm trying fusion360 first because there are some good videos on you tube. I followed along a video just to build this. This is just scratching the surface! Ive got a lot to learn. One 3d software that seems popular is Rino3d, Its 1000$ for it. LOL.

After you design something you have to import it into what is called a slicer software. I'm using LycheeSlicer. Here you can orientate the object and add the supports. This is all going to be a lot of trial and error.

block.PNG
block1.PNG
3dprint.PNG
3dprint1.PNG

The cavity needs to go up or you will have liquid resin trapped inside. Remember the liquid resin needs to be able to drain out.

Reactions: Mo_
I just saw that one of the 3D model set companies, Heavy Hobby, has a distributor in NYC (Staten Island) as here I was considering ordering from Hong Kong! Best of all, they're having a sale (the owner said it wasn't selling and plans to discontinue). I mentioned that no advertisement so I didn't know!

Hobby Link International

I think this should be posted under announcements?

NEAT. See my latest post on the Hobbyboss Merkava and some printed items I have for it. I'm convinced there is a small market ATM for printed items , like external stowage, main gun barrels, bricks and debris, IDF ball chain armor, and specialty items like a flat section of track to press into a base to make tank impressions, etc. While I think the market will go away as printers become more prominent and easier to use, you should be able to make enough to pay for your equipment, and that is something

I agree, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the software used to design such items. For some it probably comes natural. I've made a couple very simple designs. All I can do is just keep using it...the ol' trial and error method.

It had a long thin layer, and when the printer pulled away, that layer was not strong enough to lay flat. Usually in this case there should be a support added to the bottom of the chin, though you would probably be better off with a little putty and sanding in this spot.
It looks like it took 3 or 4 layers before it settled back down.

Reactions: Mo_
My first aircraft related part. Its a trim wheel for a p-51mustang. Why you might ask....because I lost one out of one of my kits and had to rob Peter to pay Paul. So I needed a replacement. While it far from perfect, it does look like a trim wheel! It will need some refinement. Its 1/48 scale. I have read where the really small stuff you have to over exaggerate the details some...working on that now. This design was following a scale drawing as best I could with what I now know with the Fusion360 software. As i learn more I can go back and make it better.
TR.PNG
TW.jpg
tr2.PNG
tr1.PNG

Last edited:
I made some changes to the first design. That one is on the left, the fist design is on the right. The kit part is in the center. All in all after everything is closed up it will play the part. I also included a pic of what it looks like where it supposed to go...case anyone didn't know.
20221223_191542.jpg

20221223_191919.jpg

Last edited:
Back