• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My first Diorama (could be my last )

How many here remember the rat patrol ? a group of 4 immaculately turned out Americans with two jeeps take on Rommel ;)
I think this is what my sub-concious has been steering me too with this dio. I remember it in Black and white but then we didn't have colour TV here in the 60s

The rat patrol

Anyway i have ordered another couple of jeeps to go with the one i have just for fun although mine will have Brits from the LRDG in :)

Make sure you get the jeeps that have the .50 brownings that can take out a tank :rotf

Rat Patrol! In color...remember it well. I know a couple of buddies who tore up their jeeps trying to do that sand dune launch. They were trying to do it over a red clay ditch so that didn't help manners. "Hey Y'all, watch this!" :rotf

How many here remember the rat patrol ? a group of 4 immaculately turned out Americans with two jeeps take on Rommel ;)
I think this is what my sub-concious has been steering me too with this dio. I remember it in Black and white but then we didn't have colour TV here in the 60s

The rat patrol

Anyway i have ordered another couple of jeeps to go with the one i have just for fun although mine will have Brits from the LRDG in :)

Ah yes, The Rat Patrol. Not only did the .50 mg knock out tanks but the tanks were often Tigers. Also, ever notice that when on patrol the jeeps NEVER had supplies in them? I still have one of the comic books.

Did you order two more Tamiya SAS jeeps? I like the Tamiya SAS jeep but arm mine with Italeri guns and Italeri Jerry Cans.

Your diorama is looking great.

Cheers

Gone for a couple of Italeri commando jeeps this time which i will try and make different from each other :)
I have recruited these guys to drive them :)

DSC_7560.jpg

Yea i have a box of italeri accessories somewhere with spare jerry cans , sand channels and bits and pieces. I think these LRDG guys were a bit of a make do rabble so it will be fun customising the jeeps to look a bit diferent :)e

The Rat Patrol production line is doing ok...do you think 14 machine guns and 26 drums of ammo will be enough... :laugh:

DSC_7675.jpg

Looking good. That's not quite 2 drums per gun but it's a lot of ammo. You don't need the Commando Car type windscreen on these jeeps unless it's something you just want. Condensors were almost mandatory though because of overheating which is also why many grill slats were removed to allow better airflow to the radiator.

It's really interesting to watch this build and diorama progress.

Cheers

Here we are Pete complete with condensers :)

DSC_7680.jpg

DSC_7681.jpg

DSC_7679.jpg

The two new jeeps are Italeri commando jeeps which i have tried to make slightly different. the third is a Tamiya SAS jeep. I think my Dio is going to get a bit crowded if i add any more which is a shame as i would have liked to add a couple of "ugly trucks" :)
I need to think about wrapping it up now. I have learnt a lot from this one about planning and size and scale. I dont think i would do another.

Hi Paddy.

I know what you mean about a diorama growing until it's too big. Have you ever thought about building interconnected dioramas? That's what I'm doing with three Normandy 1944 dioramas I'm working on. Each is a complete diorama in itself but are interconnected to each other by the theme 25 Pounder Gun.

I like your jeeps but I think the condensors should be further away from the radiators. That's just my opinion based on getting as much air to the radiator as possible.

Cheers

unfortunately lighting this thing up is a step to far i think. Despite painting the inside, plastering the outside and washing it as well the light just lights up the walls

DSC_7683_zpsaea8eff9.jpg

It was a good idea but if i use it again i need to coat the inside with something more opaque
We live and learn :)

Lower wattage bulb, put a rheostat switch in line on the power.

Last one up turn the lights out... :popcorn

I dont think you could control a 3v LED with a rheostat. They are already what are caled glow lights. They look bright because of the long exposure of the camera shot.
It doesnt matter as the whole lot will end up in the bin in a week as i have trouble finding room for a model to display let alone a dio 600mm square :laugh: Like all thgese things the fun is weeks of building...looking at it gets boring after 5 mins :)

NOOOO!!

I don't know how you can do that Paddy, but you are right, the fun is in the building. I enjoy showing my friends when they come around.

This sounds really strange but i don't have any friends of family.

Anyway, here it is. I could go on and on and add grass tufts and stuff on the roofs etc gutters and down pipes and so on but i am all dio'ed out :))

DSC_7720_zpsc3329ce3.jpg

DSC_7718_zps12ba5c45.jpg

DSC_7717_zpsbd9d0d4d.jpg

DSC_7716_zps437973f2.jpg

DSC_7715_zps543dc3a8.jpg

DSC_7714_zps9d990671.jpg

DSC_7713_zps21dab104.jpg

DSC_7710_zps920e913d.jpg

DSC_7708_zps44633946.jpg

DSC_7707_zps04a72b8b.jpg

DSC_7706_zps22ceda46.jpg

DSC_7704_zps21dc9ad5.jpg

DSC_7699_zps708d26a5.jpg

DSC_7697_zps2fd7f185.jpg

DSC_7694_zpsa00193cf.jpg

DSC_7693_zps4a40b46b.jpg

DSC_7691_zps77a8c363.jpg

DSC_7689_zpsf2021813.jpg

DSC_7688_zps7a3e970a.jpg

DSC_7687_zps8aaf1b6a.jpg

DSC_7686_zps7420f64a.jpg

Fantastic work Paddy, really nice. Shame to see it come to a finish and thanks for sharing your learning experience with us! (y)

Very interesting idea Paddy . Shame it didn't come out the way you wanted it too.

It does look like too much wattage for the scale though .

Cheers, Christian B)

Yes the bulbs work better in daylight just to highlight darker rooms etc.

I missed out a shot of the whole thing so here it is. Shows what you can do with a few polystyrene ceiling tiles and some tile putty and sand from the fish tank :)

DSC_7723_zpsbe159831.jpg

Many thanks guys...can i go build an aeroplane now please :)

Back