• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

More Messerschmitts on the way...

Again Beautiful work. (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
Could you maybe give some pointers on how you weather a plane? I've never really done a lot before, just spot stuff.
James

Thank you James!

I do the weathering on my models throughout the build and don't just save it all for the end, real machines don't have all the wear and tear done on them all at once and you can't expect a model weathered that way to look too convincing.

When I weather my plane models the weathering usually starts with a combination of panel line pre-shading and highlighting random panels, I did this with the two models in this thread but they are so small it can barely be seen in my pics.
After I paint the basic camouflage pattern on a model I will often spray a lighter version of the base colors in a very tight mottle in the high wear areas like the wing roots and raised areas of the model that catch a lot of light. Once the markings are put on I like to use highly thinned paints of the base colors and lightly spray over the model to tone the markings down and help them look like they were painted on, I try to go for a random patchy look and not make it an even coat.
After most of the airbrush painting is done the model will get a light coat of Future to seal in the decals and protect the light airbrush painting work, after the Future is dry I use highly thinned oil paints and odorless thinner to highlight the panel lines and other details.
When the work with the oil paints is finished I will spray on a coat of flat clear and add the last of the weathering effects including airbrushing exhaust stains and using silver paint and a silver artists pencil to finish up any paint chipping on the wing roots and around access panels.

Matrixone

Thanks for looking in Gary! :)

Today I am working with oil paints to add some weathering effects, this usually takes me a while to do because when I add weathering on my models I stop from time to time to step away from them and come back later with fresh eyes to check my work. Oil paints dry very slowly but that's a good thing because if I don't like what I see its ultra easy to remove them. If I like what I have done I use a hair dryer to speed up the drying time of the oil paint and move on to work on the rest of the model.

Matrixone

Thanks very much Randy! :)

James,
One more thing about weathering that I do that is different than the way most other people do it, I like to use a lot of natural light when adding weathering. I have several bright lights that give me a well lit workbench but when mixing paint colors and adding weathering effects to a model nothing beats using some natural light to really see what's going on your model. Sure you can add weathering to a model using nothing but indoor lighting but it looks better using some natural light too, mixing paint colors is a different story and it really should be done under natural daytime light.

Today its back to normal PNW weather here so its very dark today and I decided to hold off on adding the rest of the oil paints to the Messerschmitt's until it gets a little bit brighter.

Matrixone

That looks like a Me410 unit marking... Yep, can see the thinking behind that and JG27 was always distinctive. Really like where this is headed, Les.

Ian

Thank you Ian, the Me 609 has a mix of 110 and 410 markings. I am trying to keep it plausible which is not always easy with 'paper projects'.

These models are not going to get much more weathering done on them since they are such basic low detailed kits I would be wasting my time trying to make them look better than they really are, there are some other kits I want to get started on soon.

Here are the models after some work with oil paints...I decided to keep almost all panel line detailing near the engine cowls and undersurfaces.
407473963.jpg

407473964.jpg

h5321070.JPG

h70a25b2.JPG

h4294470.JPG

h0156616.JPG

h406bff4.JPG

h8ffd20a.JPG

Matrixone

Work on these Messerschmitt's has slowed the past few days but will aim to get them done sometime this week.

Its hard to see here but I have sprayed tinted thinner over the markings to tone them down and also around the wing roots to add some wear and tear. Once the flat coat is sprayed on the subtle work I just did will show up much better.
407528032.jpg

407528026.jpg

Matrixone

Don't know how we missed your update the other day, they are looking great Les, what did you tint the thinner with?

Thanks Bob,
I tinted the thinner with a 50/50 mix of RLM 76 and white, this color blends well with the 74/75/76 colors on the models.
Using the RLM 76/white tinted thinner to blend in the decals might not work as well on green or brown finishes.

Matrixone

A light flat coat and the exhaust stains were sprayed on these models, next up will be removing the canopies and hand painting the framework. Also I will start installing the landing gear legs.

hc0c1036.JPG

h9042e8f.JPG

h4246b83.JPG

h522ddf3.JPG

h465ee47.JPG

h1fc0366.JPG

Matrixone

Isn't it amazing how a couple of light coats of matt varnish just calms everything down. Twenty minutes ago I did the same with my P-47N !!

Ian

I agree with you Ian, a flat coat can be a massive game changer on the finish of a model.

Before the flat coat was added the paint fading/dust effects I did on the Bf 109G was all but invisible, after the flat coat my 109 now looks like it spent some time in the MTO. :D

Matrixone

ght that I had thanked you, sorry :blush: . Great ideas to work from and I'll see if I can incorporate them. The 109's look awesome. Man you do nice work (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

Back