• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram 1/48 F-4C backdated to USMC F-4B SCRATCH

dollar19

If you guys don't mind me horning in on this, I'd like to join up. I have just the most modest jump on this because I started it by spraying a coat of gray primer in the cockpit. Nothing else has been done except for ordering a set of am decals.

Bf%20110%20001.jpg

Bf%20110%20002.jpg

Bf%20110%20003.jpg

Bf%20110%20001_1.jpg

Bf%20110%20007_2.jpg

If you guys don't mind this little bit of a jump start, I'd be pleased to join in. If it's a problem.... sing out and I'll keep it as a WIP

Monogram 1/48 F-4C backdated to USMC F-4B

Thats hardly any start at all Sure that :mpup will say its alright

Always liked the Monogram F-4J/C kit one of my favourites. Are you going to change the wings or just build it as is ??

Ian.

Always liked the Monogram F-4J/C kit one of my favourites. Are you going to change the wings or just build it as is ??

Ian.

Wasn't it just the leading edge slats that were different? B didn't have them, C did?

No, wings were very different over the wheel bays.

The B's & N's had thinner tyres and therefore the wing skin above the bay was 'flat', all subsequent F-4's had considerably fatter wheels & tyres which required a deeper bay and a resultant 'bulge' above. There are many other 'detail' differences aswell, but there's whole sites and many, many books & articles dedicated to this topic, and it won't really help $19 to go in to all that here.

Ian.

The B's & N's had thinner tyres and therefore the wing skin above the bay was 'flat', all subsequent F-4's had considerably fatter wheels & tyres which required a deeper bay and a resultant 'bulge' above. There are many other 'detail' differences aswell, but there's whole sites and many, many books & articles dedicated to this topic, and it won't really help $19 to go in to all that here.

Ian.

Yep. Seen some flame wars over the differences on a few boards. Just check your references for the bird you're building & you'll do good. (y)

Ian.

Ok boys here's a run down of what I hope to do with this. Minor work in the pit to suggest a navalized bird. The pit is a generic Air Force C model and not that well rendered. I'd love to go am here with some resin but just can't spare the change for that. So some sandin down of panels in the rear end and a joy stick for the RIO and closed canopies. I blew my budget on the new decals.
The wings will probably have to remain as molded.Monogram molded them at a uniform thickness including the well humps. To grind and sand them down would leave a hole the size of a SAM hit.

I am going to remove the reinforcing plates on the stabilators, and rework the nose gear door. There is also an antenna or two that needs reworking.

Given the age of this kit and it's well known fit issues. I will have my hands full. So let's call this an OOB with a couple of tweeks. I really just want an F-4 in gray and white MARINE paint work. I'm not too much into rivet counting anyway. If it walks like a duck is good enough for me. :laugh:

Don't want to be a spoil sport but there are many difference between the Navy and Air force Phantoms besides the wheel and wing issues, without addressing the cockpits .

Build it the way you want to ..... I once tried to build one of these but ..... Toooooo muck flak & to-do about nothing ..... I could go on a rant here .... but I won't ..... when did We quit being modelers and become critics of all things built ??? ............ :eek:ldguy

Seein' how I did the Monogram F-4J with the Legend cockpit set, I may still have the kit pit somewheres... If you're interested, I'll look & see if I still got it

Thanks for the offer Ed , that's most kind of you! Seeing as how I'm going with closed canopies I doubt it will make much difference. I might even stick in the pilot and and a RIO just to disguise it even more.

Once again thanks!

Thanks for the offer Ed , that's most kind of you! Seeing as how I'm going with closed canopies I doubt it will make much difference. I might even stick in the pilot and and a RIO just to disguise it even more.

Once again thanks!

Yer welcome. It's kinda hard to see into the pit with canopy's closed & if ya put figures in there then, not much of the IP will be seen.

Back