• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MiniArt Grant Mk.1

Now you know why I don't generally build Allied armor. I don't have a definite answer or suggestion beyond a set of aftermarket tracks. Bugger, those kit tracks look awful.

I can see a way to do it now but its taken me an hour to do 5 links., there are 160 links so 32 hours......will i lose the will to live before that :) and at what point does doing something for fun sort of defeat itself :)

Mike and I have the same thought. I am no expert, but I wonder if these are more user-friendly?

I found this on another build blog which made me smile ....Track progress is slow-just another 10 or so links (in two nights, I’m 25% through one side!).

Glad its not just me.

Most build blogs use these

however as an engineer i need to solve the problem of what i have rather than just buying something else. that said one of the things that really rattles an engineer is "over engineering" things. It goes against what engineers do :) and this is over engineered for no real advantage IMHO.

But unfortunately its a challenge so has to met head on :)

What I usually do in a case like this is sit in front of the telly, clip and clean up all the parts and divy them up into separate little containers.

(easy for me as I am a container king) :bigrin:

Then, on this I would probably dig out my massive aluminum jig and make a setup to hold and easily clamp things in place while applying small amounts of solvent glue. Once all the parts are fully cleaned up I find things can flow a lot easier.

OK this is my recipe for tank tracks

firstly you need to add all the parts to a handy container like a whisky glass ( drink the Whisky first)

DSC_3163.JPG

then add 4 drops of glue, dont over do it, four will be fine

DSC_3164.JPG

Give it all a good shake for about 2 minutes.

DSC_3165.JPG

And that seems to do the trick

DSC_3167.JPG

DSC_3166.JPG

Seriously though there is no quick way to do this, i tried an assortment of home made jigs but problem is the end plates with the pins are all rounded and simply will not sit in position so its a case of slowly assembling using manual dexterity :)

I have done one side, 79 links and still have the other side to do but i think 80 links will be better if there are any spares as 79 is a tight as a guitar string :)

Quick question

the instructions say the tracks should have 79 links. I thought that looked a little tight so this is a picture with 80 links

DSC_3170.JPG

This looks a lot better to me but am i right or should they be tighter ?

Its quite hard to find colour pictures of tank tracks in the desert, most are either models or colourized pictures but i found this Israeli tank

800px_COLOURBOX3327832.jpg

I also figured out a long time ago to find the wheel that adjusts the track tension and do the mounting last. That way the tension adjustment can be done properly.

Back