• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MiniArt Grant Mk.1

It may not have come out quite like you had in your mind, and/or no longer fit the plan scope...but I certainly wouldn't call it a failure. Trying new things and experimenting w/ new techniques is half the fun of this hobby...if you let it be.

Before you do break it up, it would be a prime candidate for a weathering guinea pig to try new techniques for the transport center piece.

Ah but you are like me, not scared to go public win or lose. There are a lot of websites where people would do anything to preserve their reputation of being a genius. Just look at modelling madness and Britmodeller....Thats one of the things that makes this site so good. we are all pretty grounded.
Probably one of the reasons I almost never leave the group build sub-forums at BM. The atmosphere in there is a lot different than other parts of the site. That sub-forum and here are really the only modelling places I hang out....unless I'm shopping for something. :LOL:

Sooooo, I really do not see the issue here. You have a good base for desert weathering. IMHO you have not really weathered this at all.

In fairness its not an issue, its just not something that would make it on to my shelf. Weathering and finish is subjective, For me its something thats fascinating, more so than probably building the kit. Many people ( in my opinion) finish models as almost caricatures of the real thing with panel lines that when scaled up would be an inch thick and paint finishes that might suit a 2022 restored museum item but are a million miles away from "painted in the field with a broom" Invasion stripes. Of course its not for me to judge others but i do judge myself :)
Maybe you are right and i will take another look at the Grant and "weather it" or " give it that lived in look"

Anything can be taken to the extreme. I am not saying that is what you need to do, but there are techniques that can add realism - not reality to a model. We are not restoring 1:1 vehicles here, so there is a certain amount of artistic license that can be used to portray a story. I highly recommend Night Shift on youtube as a good place to start about the steps involved.

At the end of the day - its your project do as you wish - I just hate to see you discouraged when I see the potential here.

Dont worry i am not discouraged, on the contrary i am having to hold myself back from piling into the next project without gaining all i can from the last build :) If i get discouraged i just look at some of your builds and i am 100% inspired to get going again. Thats the great thing about this site, everyone has time for everyone else.

Paddy, I simply thought you were putting the Grant aside to get the tank transporter done and weather them together. It is your model, of course, I personally would not be displeased (you must be hiding the 'ugly' parts well). I got your back (a Yank saying) either way you go. ;)

Regards,

Quick question
with the top turret hatch open, would the the hatch be interior white or did they do the inside of the hatches the exterior colour so they didnt stand out when open ?
I'm late to the party for this, but for future reference, the interior of crew hatches where painted in the exterior colour. The Grant's came from the factory in Olive Drab so the hatches were too. When repainted in the British Depots in Egypt, the hatches were left closed and remained Olive Drab.

Cheers,
Rich

A Feb 1942 photo of US Army instructors showing the finer points of the Grant to 5 RTR crews. The interior of the crew side door is OD. Also the sand shields on the second tank are a darker colour that suggests they were installed after repainting.

1.jpg

A Royal Scots Greys Grant taken Sep 1942 after the Battle of Alam El Haifa.

m3grant105.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:
Mini Art Grant M3 (take two)

So here is my revised M3 Grant. After the North African campaign was won the British armies of North Africa embarked on the Italian campaign crossing the Mediterranean to Sicily and southern Italy. Equipment was hastily repainted in most cases although i have found examples of Desert Camo and even Olive drab tanks in Italy. My grant is a dirty version of the Desert stone (my interpretation). I have added Jerry cans and frames (made from plastistruct) and tarpaulins, tents made from lens cloth and some plastic ruck sacks from the kit. Interesting now I have changed the interior of the hatches to drab I find the pictures show them white or sand so like all these things I guess there were no hard and fast rules. The surface finish is spray gunned, there are a few areas of chipping, and I used a dark pin wash as well as a white dry brush. Much happier with this, it may not be 100% correct but given the changing situation and the campaign that went from arid desert to very dry and rocky Sicily to green and lush Italy in a few weeks I think it works well..

GrantDuoSicilywStuartRecce_04.jpg

DSC_3344.JPG

DSC_3345.JPG

DSC_3346.JPG

DSC_3347.JPG

DSC_3348.JPG

DSC_3349.JPG

DSC_3350.JPG

DSC_3346_01.JPG

As always, thanks for all your help and for getting me to try again, more than happy to put this on the shelf . One other point. the rear doors are open as this will be on the back of the transporter and is a nod towards the fact it couldn't be fixed in the field.

One other point. the rear doors are open as this will be on the back of the transporter and is a nod towards the fact it couldn't be fixed in the field.​
Of course, after all that interior work, at least hint it is there! Nice use of the text formatting tools, by the way. On to the transporter!

Regards,

Back