• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MiniArt Grant Mk.1

paddy

I have decided to give this model a go. I am not a tank man, i have only built 3-4 in my life and those were pretty basic Tamiya's that built themselves.
I figure by starting a thread before starting the model i cant then back out as i am somewhat committed :)
If it doesnt work then i can blame Paul and his dog (heavens eagle) as he told me i can do this.

I found this picture of a Grant and a Lee while trying to find out the difference.

8. tanks.png

I know that the picture is a bit bleached out but i dont think its massively over exposed as the darker detail in the shadow looks correct. I presume these are desert sand in colour which suits me as i have a bit of an 8th Army/North Africa theme going with a couple of models on the shelf.

A quick bit of research seems to show the interior of British tanks as a silver /white that i think in scale would be what they call old english white.
The engine seems to be a Radial which as a brit is a first for me in a tank, most brits used a RR Meteor i think which was a non supercharged Merlin

My only real question at this stage is were these Brit Grants olive green over painted sand or where they converted with the Brit turret and painted sand from the start because the sand covering seems to be very thorough ie : not hastily applied in the field ?

I'll have to dig out my Sherman book, I think it covers some of the Lee/Grant development but i think they came from the factories in British army spec colors.

Its just about what colour to use as an undercoat so chips look right.

The mini art engine diagrams look pretty good, i have looked at dozens of originals, most are Black and white. the exhaust seems to be a bare metal finish. interesting to see how the engine rocker box bolts stand out against the black ducting for the fan, i wonder if this is going in....or coming out..

100735.jpg

I think if i start with the engine the rest will naturally follow on :)

Last edited:
thanks Mike
the only real problem i have found so far is the size and amount of attachment points to the Spru's and actually determining what is part of the piece you are removing and what is attachment point. Its not a major problem but does increase the amount of cleaning up time considerably ;-)

Nice, make sure no rust on the engine as it was an aircraft engine (like the Meteor). Look good as is.

Regards,

Right well the Christmas break gave me lots of spare time so i have been playing with interiors.

DSC_3097.JPG

Fit of parts is as good as they come. /excellent here in unpainted mode.

DSC_3099.JPG

DSC_3102.JPG

A white primer was added, I really am making this upas i go along, its a case of try it and see how it looks.

I decided this is too white so i tried to pre shade like you would do with an aircraft

DSC_3103.JPG

it sort of works but its miles off where i want to be
DSC_3104.JPG

So i tried adding a little desert yellow to the white which again sort of works but still not really what i am aiming for but the problem is all i can find is pictures of restore tanks in colour and they like restored aircraft are probably nothing like a tank in the field.

DSC_3105.JPG

DSC_3106.JPG

Apparently British Grants/Tanks were silver inside however they ran out of silver paint as it was all diverted to the aircraft industry so went to white for 41/42/43 .
I think with more parts added to break it up a bit and some strategic chipping and weathering it will look ok, maybe a dark wash to bring out corners and edges, detail .
One thing i have found on all the other models i have researched on line is they all have copper shells. Shell cases were brass :) amazing how many people seem to get that wrong.

After the Bentley Blower project, I remain convinced no model is beyond your ability. Keep calm and Model On! :good:

The Grants (and Lees) were shipped from the factory in US Army OD 9. Upon arrival in the Canal Zone depots they received British mods (radios, sand shields, mantlet dust covers, removal of hull MG's) and were painted overall Light Stone before being issued to units. At this time there was no disruptive pattern applied. In mid 1942 there was a outburst of creative camouflage due to ambiguity in General Orders as Brigades developed their own unique patterns applied over the Light Stone. In late 1942 Desert Pink became the base colour with one disruptive colour allowed. Dark Green and Black/Charcoal were the most common. Slate and Dark Brown were also used. This scheme remained in effect until British forces reached Tunisia.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich, i will go with the Mike Starmer mix for Lt Stone, 7 x XF-2 + 2 x XF-59 + 2 x XF-3. you gave me for my LRDP Chevy
Base coat of olive drab which seems to show through in places where chipped and scraped

large_000000.jpg

The colour showing through on the turret and below looks too light to be drab though ?

It could just be the effect of the bright sunlight on the upper surface if you compare it to the scrapes in the shadow by the tow shackle. Throw in a little sun fading, dust and remains of the Lt Stone top coat can lighten the OD.

Rich

I really am not sure where i am going here :) I had a vision of how i wanted this to look but it was heavily based on rust and having decided to do a Deseret scheme thats not going to work so its just doing its own thing :dude:.
I read that these things leaked like a sieve as there was no seal between the riveted joints so they filled up with water in the rain.....as long as they were not in the Desert :)
I think i will do the interior sides next so its a bit more enclosed ,light wise, and then review it again.

DSC_3107.JPG

I remember reading some accounts that there was more rusting than you would expect. Metal would be exposed on vehicle bodies by blowing sand and tracks burnished driving thru sand. As most of the action occurred within a few miles of the coast, when they stopped overnight, a thin haze of rust would appear when the temperature dropped and condensation settled. As soon as they started moving the next day or caught in a dust storm, most of it would be removed.

Cheers,
Rich

Back