• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15

Erik and I have been talking about Alclad and the basics of how it lays down. Thought I'd show real quick how nice it is to work with.

Here's the turbine of the Mig, I didn't do any surface prep other than removing the sprue gates, and did that sloppy. I gave it a coat of acrylic gloss black, Model Masters. Dried quickly. Then gave it a mist of Polished Aluminum and here's the result
Mig305.JPG

the only thing I want visible is the turbine blades from up the tail pipe, if someone would look up there they will see it.
Mig306.JPG

Now here we have the two halves of the exhaust pipe(I guess that's what it is). I did no prep work, this is right off the sprue. Now notice how nice and shinny the engine is compared to the inside of this pipe. As I said in that other post, Alclad is just going to mirror the surface it's being applied to. If it's rough, ugly, that's what it's going to be, if it's nice and smooth, it's going to shine.
Mig307.JPG

I went with polished aluminum so the turbine would show up when looking up the pipe.
Mig308.JPG

Grey wash, hope it brought the right hue around.
Mig309.JPG

Mig310.JPG

This way up!

Mig311.JPG

now...time to polish. I've been sandbagging this stuff for a while. Got it from MicroMesh Their website sucks but their products rock.

Break out the shades folks, it's going to get bright!

Awesome. Alclad makes my skin crawl though. Cockpit looks mo better (y) (y) (y) Liking this a lot Bob.
James

Maybe I should take some pics of the Nene 10 for you and let you stew a bit :evil: :evil: :D
James

Grey wash, hope it brought the right hue around.
Mig309.JPG

Please repaint the seat cushions as the gray is the wrong tone for it. Use sheens here to give it the pleathery look. Pleather = plastic leather

Dull black wash with highlights in a semi-matte finish.

The rest is beautiful!

Regards,

Meant to say that Saul, I was going to dry brush the seat cushions with gloss black. I wanted some grey down in the valleys but it got away from me. should have hit the dry brush when I had the black out.

BTW, those control surfaces look fine but it's more work than I want to invest on this. Still not sure about the wing fences. I can decide a little later.

BTW, those control surfaces look fine but it's more work than I want to invest on this. Still not sure about the wing fences. I can decide a little later.

Not a problem. With the extra cockpit, you may get another kit! also don't forget the air brakes on the PE sheet for another variant and reason to get a second kit.

As for the wing fences, you really should replace them before polishing the wings or use them on the second (future) kit.

Regards,

Thanks Gary.

Got some work done, removed the wing fences, all the way down to the mounts and cleaned up the seams, filling in with some CA, sanding some more. I'll have it nice and polished and then get some primer on it to see how much I missed.

Thanks for all the encouragement and guidance.

I worked on the seams more than anything else and once I got one coat of the grey microprimer I found a lot of the surface looked pitted, not sure what caused that but needed to give it attention also.
mig312.jpg

And this is where we are with a polished(not using the word sand here) primer

mig313.jpg

this is the first couple of misting of Duraluminum and as you can see, not really where I wanted it. those surfaces still were not shiny like I want them. Masked off the ailerons to give it a different tone.

mig314.jpg

Surfaces still irregular. More polishing is the order.

mig315.jpg

And here we are after polishing and a couple more coats of Alclad, also used one coat of polished aluminum, just seeing if it gives a little more "umph" to the finish.

Hope you like it!

MP, just so you know, duralum isnt really shiny unless super polished. Only reason to polish is to slow down oxidation and get a few more knots of airspeed. So you could leave it as is and it would be more realistic than a blinding shine. I've polished aircraft before and even when polished they surface can range from milky (bad polishing) to slightly shiny (but in the right angle and light you can see the polishing). Just my 2 cents.
James

MP, just so you know, duralum isnt really shiny unless super polished. Only reason to polish is to slow down oxidation and get a few more knots of airspeed. So you could leave it as is and it would be more realistic than a blinding shine. I've polished aircraft before and even when polished they surface can range from milky (bad polishing) to slightly shiny (but in the right angle and light you can see the polishing). Just my 2 cents.
James

That's the effect i'm going for on this one. There will be some surfaces that are really shiny, like inside the intake. but other than that, that milky look is what I'm looking for. The last shot was under flash so it will look more shiny that it really does. I"m going for a consistent finish on this, getting those rough spots out and all. the tones has sort of blended in now, can't really see them. Addressing tat tomorrow.

it depends what you are going for - I'd say that is enough. some panel shading at it will be great

yep, thinking of going with a slightly darker shade around the panel lines. going to be some careful airbrushin'

Probably still too shiny, going to do a wash over it and get the panel lines poping out after I get the decals on.

I added some Alclad transparent smoke to the duraluminm to make it darker. worked the panel lines and kept adding more smoke color to the base. Got it where I wanted and came back and brought the highlights back out with the original base coat.
mig316.jpg

mig317.jpg

mig318.jpg

mig319.jpg

mig320.jpg

Hope you like it.

Back