• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MacRobertson Air Race Line up

We mustn't rush the Chemicals, ol' boy!
Jolly Good!
Those Micro-Mir guys seem not to have researched how the original Comet canopy opens very well, did they?
Or perhaps they did.

I am rushing I supposed. the Green one is stripped again, All of it. Back to resin. I'm going to move forward with Black Magic and G'House and circle back as they say.

I wonder if the Cassutt CJS has it's roots there. My Dad built one in our Garage and flew it off in 1971 as N2CP.
I don't know much about the air racing history. All I know is Buster was built by Steve Wittman and won a lot.
Screenshot_20240330_195248_Chrome.jpg

Hey Bob, did you know about this company??

Looks like it would be a nice kit, might have to re-mortgage the house though!
@paddy

I emailed Marsh for a price.
This is £165 plus postage if you are outside UK but plus VAT if in UK.
We can do this but do not have decals for Black Magic.
Personally I like Black Magic scheme better but I wouldn't mind a big red Comet on the shelf.

I've read the build thread. Lots going on there.
I think I'm going to have to build some dirty OD and armor stuff before taking on this.

This is all coming a long quit nicely. :vgood:
Sorry about that rabbit hole I through in front of you about the paint. :facepalm:

I went looking in that hole willingly.
I can see this making an interesting base on a larger scale and on a more abused finish. Brand new race aircraft, not so much. Just wait till you see what I have in mind for the Green one, should have green on it this evening.

The Green One is really giving me a fit, rather the Humbrol Gloss is, I stated on Paddy's thread that I have stripped this and tried again several times now.
Eric talked me into trying a yellow base and build up the green so here we go.

1712366158527.png

1712366242541.png

And I guess my heavy hand just obliterates pre shading here. But I think it looks more green now. I'm going to wet sand it to smooth it out then a thin coat of color and see how it looks tomorrow.

Layers of paint on a small model seem to be giving you a large amount of trouble. A bit of super fine wet-sanding between coats perhaps?

Now that LOOKS great! :coolio2: .... Damn the orange peels :vmad:
As Big R stated in the other thread set it aside after the next strip
Maybe pull out that 251 for a pallet cleanser while you for the large scale de Havilland to show up :bigrin:

You're right Eric but I do have landing gear to install on both these and I'm patiently waiting on the replacement tail skid from the fabrication shop. I was very disciplined last night as I didn't take to sanding the Green one just yet, the paint was dry to touch but still seemed a bit soft.

I could shift gears, :soldier

If i had to give a verdict i would say paint too thick needing too high a pressure.
Someone once told me that the paint should drip like water off the stirring stick, any that remains on the stick should drain instantly if you touch the stick against the side of you airbrush reservoir. its something i have always stuck to and seems good advice. If you need a higher pressure to spray it blows the paint on the surface like little waves and that causes orange peel.
I have to say with humbrol gloss you picked the most difficult paint to spray :)

I have to say with humbrol gloss you picked the most difficult paint to spray
Thanks Paddy, this actually makes me feel good. :blink Like I said elsewhere, I've stripped it 3-4 times now and i'm still tempted to strip it again but I want to sand it out now and see how it looks. Honestly I think the first attempt I did was probably the best but the base coat wasn't where it needed to be.

@centaur567 I've seen it, probably read as much about the Comet online that there is. I fell in love with it's lines when I first saw the SBS model box years ago. I really thought this was a post WW2 aircraft, no idea that it was so early.

@Rhino Thanks for sending the tail skid back from the first version of Black Magic. I carved out a slot and got'er fitted no problem.

1713741594780.png

I was about to put a coat of paint on and found the Green one has lost her tail skid, and judging from the paint layers on the broken part it broke a while back. I'm keeping an eye out for the broken part but also thinking my options of making a new skid out of a bit of brass maybe.

1713741710786.png

This one part I think I can fabricate.

Back