• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M38 Nevada Front

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
M38

M38 is a stop gap tank destroyer. Built on a M4A3E2 hull with E8 suspension, using a modified M26 turret and a long barrel 90mm. The two main draw backs to the the design are one the high silhouette and the two piece ammunition for the main gun.

Road to the Nevada Front;

In 1944 German spies stole all the enriched uranium that the US had produced, then destroyed the production plant. The uranium was smuggled to the gulf coast to meet waiting U-boats. On the same day there had been a German commando raid in New Mexico, kidnapping the leading US scientists of the Manhattan project. The FBI learned the German commandos had entered through the Mexican border and returned the same way with their prisoners, then again meeting waiting U-boats in the gulf.

After returning to Germany the German atomic program accelerated and was able to make a number of small atomic bombs which were placed on V2s. Five were used on the advancing Russian armies stopping them in their tracks. Giving Germany breathing room, which they took full advantage of by moving troops to the Western Front. In December 1944, the week before Christmas the US and Commonwealth found themselves under a larger front wide attack, preceded by the use of chemical weapons. The Allied armies of the Western Front never shook off the large casualties and were forced into what is know as the Dunkirk II. With the Allies off the European continent and the Russian armies falling back, Germany was able to start with even higher production of their high tech weapons. With the production of aircraft such as the ME 262 Germany was able regain control of the skies and limit the bombers of the Allies even after the rushing in of the B29 and a small number of P80s.

During this time Germany was able to exchange technology with the Japanese to get a head start on their own aircraft carriers, and weapons like the I400 along with Bio weapons. All at the cost of one atomic bomb.

Japanese used the one sole atomic bomb on the US invasion fleet at Luzon by a lone kamikaze. This attack left the US Pacific fleet open once again to the Japanese. In a number of defeats the Japanese were able to take control of the Pacific. The Japanese first used their Bio weapons in large scale against the US west coast basically wiping out the cities of LA, San Francisco, Seattle and Portland.

While the Japanese were rolling back thought the Pacific, Germany felt it was time to invade England. In a hard fought and high causalities Germany was able to take island. Great Britain was forced to move their government to Canada. US east coast cities began to come under attack from jet aircraft launched from U-boats.

A number of counties took notice of the Axis successes and entered the war on their side, Spain, Syria, Argentina, Niagara and Mexico. With their new allies Germany and Japan were able to take their plans to the next level. After taking of Panama and the fall of Alaska, the time was right for the invasion of the US main land. With airfields in Mexico for support, Axis began their invasion of the US from the Mexican border.

Now in the fall of 1946 this M38 waits to support Marines on a new counter attack to retake Needles California while Canadians and British move on Hoover Dam and lake Mead.

DSC09048_zps2aa23459.jpg

DSC09049_zpsa968752c.jpg

Did get a little bit done on the turret. Instead of adding the counter weight to the rear of the turret, I went a head a "stretched" it with strip styrene.

DSC09075_zps688094fb.jpg

DSC09077_zpse8d70471.jpg

I also filled some of the M26 stuff that would not be needed on the turret
DSC09074_zps1603c0b5.jpg

DSC09076_zps134e621d.jpg

Yikes!
Great narrative. It gives me chills.
I find myself contemplating alternate histories, and this is a compelling one.
I hope you get the Sherm done in time.

Cheers,

Bill

Back