• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

M103A1 HEAVY TANK "I'M DONE!"

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
Here is my offering for the "Modern Armor" campaign.

This is the M103A1 Heavy Tank from Dragon under the Black Label line.

DSC01488.JPG

DSC01489.JPG

DSC01492.JPG

I started with the turret. It is huge! The fit is good with great cast surface texture.

DSC01493.JPG

DSC01494.JPG

DSC01495.JPG

Next I moved on to the hull. You can see the size comparison between turret and the hull.

DSC01496.JPG

DSC01497.JPG

Next wheels and details

Terry B)

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

what size gun was that? It would have to be a big one for that size of turret.

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

That's a bigun' :popcorn

You going to do something about those molded on springs or just go with it? :soldier

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

Here are some drawings that will give some idea of how much space the gun takes up in the turret.

Terry B)

h95d3c64.jpg

h37684fc.jpg

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

awesome -
I remember seeing this in person at Ft Hood and it was a BIG S.O.B. LOL
M103120mm.jpg

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

Here we go work continues on the lower hull with lots of small parts. The rear hull is a multiple part assemble that needs a lot of sanding. Here is what it looks so far.

Terry B)

DSC01530.JPG

DSC01531.JPG

DSC01532.JPG

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

So Terry are the parts just generic that is causing the sanding or are you doing some correcting of the hull?

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

So Terry are the parts just generic that is causing the sanding or are you doing some correcting of the hull?

Just the generic parts. I wanted to get rid of the seams where the parts join.

B)

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

Man, that thin is a beast. I wonder what it looks like next to an Abrams?

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

Man, that thin is a beast. I wonder what it looks like next to an Abrams?

The Abrams and the up gunned M60 is what replaced it. I don't how they compare size wise.

B)

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

The main part of the lower hull is done and a first coat of paint applied. Next wheels and sprockets.

Terry B)

DSC01544.JPG

DSC01545.JPG

DSC01546.JPG

DSC01547.JPG

DSC01548.JPG

DSC01549.JPG

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

Such a family resemblance with the M48/M60 series, (the drivers hatch, engine deck etc). Looking forward to another 'painting lesson'.

Ian

M103A1 HEAVY TANK

Great work Terry, impressive turret, look like a Super M60 (like S. Sherman)... :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Back