• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Figures Updated Feb 8th, 2021

Logistics, The Figures Updated October 17th, 2017

It's like they come alive under your brush :notworthy

That's quite a compliment MP. Thank you, I really appreciate that, but, I'm afraid you're giving me too much credit. I've never considered myself a good figure painter. I've never had the chance to try. Some of those guys spend a year just building and painting a single figure. In this diorama, now up to 435 figures and climbing, I can't afford more than 5-6 hours apiece and that's pushing it. The only way I can do it is by using Henry Ford's assembly line method.

Now, wouldn't it be cool if they could come alive? I could just paint them and then tell them what pose to take and where to sit or stand! Maybe that is in store for the future modelers of the world! :)

The other day, I had visitors in the museum. One guy turned to me and said, I'll bet you could qualify in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most figures built and painted in a lifetime? Now there is a possibility. I know it is well into the thousands! I started painting figures back in the mid-1970s. My first project was The Winds of War that had a mere 200 figures! Compared to logistics, that was chicken feed! :)

The crowd you will have on that one dio will have folks looking at it for a long time Bob! You might need to consider some "Easter Egg" type figs that fit in but have special significance or allude to some semi private jokes. A dio that size and as busy as it is going to be would be perfect for that.

The quality of the figs you have painted look real good Bob! (y) I am sure they still need a bit of weathering yet because they are still too clean.

Bob, you keep saying that you are not the best figure painter. You know what? Your dioramas, where everything falls in place just like magic, gives the sensation of realism that nobody else has achieved, talking about the whole big picture, everything included, buildings, vehicles, figures, nature, box, base, plaques, the lot.

I think someone called it "composition" :D

I admire those who paint figures to perfection, but, no disrespect, a perfect bust doesn't impress me nearly as much as a diorama that oozes life.

Laurence

I third what Lawrence said. I also like the idea of a few "Easter eggs" hidden in the overall thing. I would love to see if Guinness would publish you in one of their books. Someone once told me I could also be in the Guinness Book with all my models I've completed, but then I found out that any collection amassed must be of similar items. My collection doesn't qualify. Your figures would.

Hey Bob, maybe you could contact them on behalf of your dad so he can keep painting these fantastic figures.

These look amazing bob! (y)

Over 400 and 4-5 hrs a piece???? That's a lot of time!!! :eek:hmy:

Beautiful work.

Master Box and MiniArt have really stepped up their game in the past few years. Leaps and bounds ahead of what Tamiya used to drop on the sprue tree. The subject matter is great too.

These look amazing bob! (y)

Over 400 and 4-5 hrs a piece???? That's a lot of time!!! :eek:hmy:

Thanks Warren,

You're telling me that's a lot of time??? I originally started this with the idea of 275 figures, but as i have went along, it has gradually risen to now, 435. The name, "Logistics", is an indicator of what I am trying to illustrate. One huge massive traffic jam, such as existed in the ETO in the last months of the war. The 56 vehicles have taken a huge amount of time as well. I have all but three of those built and painted, and most are either finished or nearing completion.

I have about half the figures completely finished, (200), another 230 built and maybe more than half of them nearing completion. When I wrap up the vehicles and figures, I'll be close, but there is still work to do on the base and buildings.

I am fully aware this will be my last big one, way too old to ever start another.

Bob

Beautiful work.

Master Box and MiniArt have really stepped up their game in the past few years. Leaps and bounds ahead of what Tamiya used to drop on the sprue tree. The subject matter is great too.

I agree 100%, both in subject and quality! They sure as hell have my my job on this diorama easier. Masterbox has some great stuff and, generally their quality is great, Miniart's figures, IMO however, are the best plastic diorama figures anywhere on the market today. Dragon has some great ones as well. I favor Miniart because they come in such great poses and detail, I can use many of them with little or no posing and/or detailing, saves me a hell of a lot of time!

Bob

Miniart for figures would be my choice too. I have just seen a pile today at the Sydney show, lots to chose from !!!

Hornet heads look nice too, not that I am expert in figures or anything :D

Laurence

Miniart for figures would be my choice too. I have just seen a pile today at the Sydney show, lots to chose from !!!

Hornet heads look nice too, not that I am expert in figures or anything :D

Laurence

Roger Saunders, who both owns Hornet and does all his own sculpting, is one of the very best. In fact, you can see his heads on almost every brand of resin figures. They have been pirated for years by free lance sculptors who don't want to take the time, or didn't have the talent to sculpt their own heads. Roger is a nice guy and I have always felt bad about that, but, so many sculptors pirated his heads, it has almost became commonplace.

You don't have to be an expert to recognize quality! I seldom keep up with new releases, and depend on a couple of buddies who do to tell me this or that has been released and possibly useful on my diorama Logistics, but, I have found myself on the Miniart website a lot lately!

Bob

Perfect sir!....Bob, did you use oils for the flesh tones?

:drinks

Luiz

Perfect sir!....Bob, did you use oils for the flesh tones?

:drinks

Luiz

Thanks Luiz!

I always use oils for flesh tones. Humbrol enamels and Vallejo acrylics for uniforms and equipment. I have been experimenting the last month using very fine, (005), ink pens to create tiny lines on both the flesh tones and the uniforms. The next time I post some figures, I'll let you know how the experiment turned out.

I recently discovered the micro felt tip pins at an art store. They come in many colors, black, white, brown, blue, red and so on, including the metallics. The smallest are .005 and you can make lines much finer than with any brush, even the Winsor-Newton Seven series sables in 00000 size! Plus, so far, the ink is opaque and covers even the artist's oils well!

Bob

I've been working on both figures and vehicles lately. I am bringing up the total of figures to 435. I still have three boxes of Miniart figures to build to reach that total. Here are some I just built. None of these posted are finished, all in progress. These are MPs, I have another two boxes of these. The reason is all the brass that will be in the diorama, both American and British, as well as a couple of high ranking German officers who will be questioned by the American officers. I think MPs would have been everywhere considering.

g~4.JPG

These three are for the M4A3E2 Jumbo that i finished some time ago, but felt I needed additional tank riders to bring it up to par with the last two Shermans.

gggg~1.JPG

Three more 101st Airborne troopers to add to the marching column.

gg~4.JPG

Another crew and riders for one of the Shermans.

ggggg~1.JPG

Finally, I thought I'd show you how I work. I straighten up my modeling desk about once a month, but, after only a couple of days, it always looks like this. I end up working most of the time in an area of about 6 square inches!. Silly? Yep, but I'm too old for new tricks these days!

0g~1.JPG

Bob

Back