• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Logistics, The Figures Updated Feb 8th, 2021

Logistics, The Figures Updated February 21, 2017

Looks good to me. I sometimes use these pens for writing on the figures. They do run if they get wet after using, ie: spray dullcoat. :cheer:
Cheers
John

Dave the Chef used these pens a while back on a figure but I think he reported later that the ink faded rather quickly. Keep an eye on this. They look good! :popcorn

My first thought when I bought them. I always give my figures a coat of dead flat clear varnish after they are thoroughly dry. That usually stops all running, bleeding and fading! However, we'll see about these. Too new to rate!

Bob

Looks good to me. I sometimes use these pens for writing on the figures. They do run if they get wet after using, ie: spray dullcoat. :cheer:
Cheers
John

Thanks John!

I use clear flat varnish, (basically the same thing). You've had no problem after using the dull coat?

Bob

Those pens look interesting Bob! If they are water based you could use a damp brush to fade and blend the ink lines a little bit.

Personally I like using Pelikan india based drawing inks. I have yet to replace my colored inks that went bad while in storage. The black inks are still fine though. They work extremely well with the fine brushes and with a little water don't dry out when applying as fast as most paints. They also clean up with 409 if I overdo it a bit.

Outstanding idea!

:hmmm

Looks great way of getting some color on them

Thanks Dave,

I still haven't worked out all the kinks yet, but I think they will eventually become a time saver without giving up quality!

Bob

Those pens look interesting Bob! If they are water based you could use a damp brush to fade and blend the ink lines a little bit.

Personally I like using Pelikan india based drawing inks. I have yet to replace my colored inks that went bad while in storage. The black inks are still fine though. They work extremely well with the fine brushes and with a little water don't dry out when applying as fast as most paints. They also clean up with 409 if I overdo it a bit.

Well, this was my first attempt at using them. I blew those photos up as much as 300% and even more. The lines an .005 pen makes are so tiny, if you feathered it would disappear. I'm thinking somewhere between 1/32nd and 1/64th in width. You're probably right about them being water based. At 77, my hand steadiness in tiny areas with a 00000 brush can be a problem at times. These can replace the fine lines, or, at least, I hope they can, but, until I get in more practice, not sure. We'll see.

The lines you see in the photos clearly, are almost invisible to the naked eye, just enough to be very subtle. Like anything new, it will take awhile to determine if i wasted money on a bunch of pens or if they can actually save me some serious time?

By the way, the sheen on the first figure's trousers is due to photographing it just after painting it. It won't exist in the final figure.

Here are a couple of those figures photographed actual size. Even some of these are a bit enlarged!

gg_copy.JPG

ggg00_copy.JPG

0gggg_copy.JPG

00000g_copy.JPG

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated February 21, 2018

I am going back to figure painting for awhile. I have three figures that will go with the locomotive, seven to eight that will be standing on the K-5 Rail gun barrel, being photographed by a British War correspondent. Then I have some wounded German soldiers being driven to the rear in a Dodge 1 and a half ton truck, a driver for the Humber and a new Patton figure. I was never satisfied with the first Patton I did, so I pitched him and am making this one from several plastic Patton figures. It may not look like it in this photograph, but I believe this face will look more like Patton than the previous one.

First, the figures that will be posing on the RR gun barrel and in front is the British photographer.

gggg~8.JPG

Then, the wounded German soldiers, now POWs, who will be in the back of the truck.

ggg~10.JPG

The passenger in the cab is already on his way to being a medic, the seated figure in the center will be the Medic driver, and the one of the right will be an armed M.P. charged with seeing the prisoners stay in the truck on the way to the rear lines where they will be treated at a medical facility.

gg~14.JPG

The British Humber driver.

gggggg~2.JPG

Then, the Patton figure. I feel it is important for him to be the absolute closest I can get to resemble the real Patton as he will be the central figure to the diorama. Lots of Patton figures out there, but hard to find one that actually looks like him! I think this will when i am finished with him!

First, the old one that I pitched.

Patton03sm_zps1acb0f64.jpg

And, the new one I am just starting on!

ggggg~7.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!

Bob

Logistics, The Figures Updated May 7th, 2018

Thanks guys,

It wash;t much of a post, but, I'm switching gears again!

Bob

Good to see you working on figures again. I like the new Patton.

Cheers,
James

Good to see you working on figures again. I like the new Patton.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James,

He looks really bad in that photo, but, I think he'll be more appropriate for this scene when i'm finished with him!

Bob

I meant that I liked the pose of the new Patton figure as he looks more like he is directing traffic. Being a figure guy, I know that initial posing and conversion photos usually do not do justice for the vision of what the figure will look like when more detailing is done and paint is applied. :)

Anyway, I think the new Patton figure fits the scene better.

Cheers,
James

Back