• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard 2A4

...Dutch Leo's, now there's a set of memories just came roaring back :v - I've used the word presence before, normally around some of the modern SPG's that folks have posted here. But having been up-close to these things back-in-the-day, it seems more than appropriate to use the word again here.

Definitely a vehicle with 'presence'. Great model too, Ron, think I may try and dig-out one of these (or a Tamiya kit) from eBay aswell, use it as a 'painting practice model' prior to building the Takom 1A5 I bought last year.

Ian

Leopard 2A4 Dirty Dutch One

Now what can someone do to a mono tone colored tank to make it look a bit more interesting?
Using filters and washes...check.
Playing around with pigments to give it the "been in the field in rainy and muddy conditions" look.
yeah,lets do that.

I broke off one of the glued side skirts,no big deal,I will glue it back in place later on.
Did some pigmenting on parts never to be seen again,just a habbit of me.

LPD5~0.jpg

Caked on mud and dust,for that typical NW Europe in rainy fall look.

LPD6.jpg

LPD7.jpg

LPD4.jpg

LPD3.jpg

LPD2.jpg

Even the upper part of the tank couldn't escape the rainy mud wash from the crew members boots.

LPD1.jpg

This is how it looked earlier on before the pigment weathering.

LEO_DD.jpg

More to come later.

Greetings,Ron.

:popcorn Really , back in the Arden again ? :smack

Interesting Ron . I've never seen a single tone leopard before .

Cheers, Christian B)

Now what can someone do to a mono tone colored tank to make it look a bit more interesting?
Using filters and washes...check.
Playing around with pigments to give it the "been in the field in rainy and muddy conditions" look.
yeah,lets do that.

I broke off one of the glued side skirts,no big deal,I will glue it back in place later on.
Did some pigmenting on parts never to be seen again,just a habbit of me.

LPD5~0.jpg

Caked on mud and dust,for that typical NW Europe in rainy fall look.

LPD6.jpg

LPD7.jpg

LPD4.jpg

LPD3.jpg

LPD2.jpg

Even the upper part of the tank couldn't escape the rainy mud wash from the crew members boots.

LPD1.jpg

This is how it looked earlier on before the pigment weathering.

LEO_DD.jpg

More to come later.

Greetings,Ron.
\

This slipped by me Ron, don't think anyone can ever say that about a Leopard :rotf

Nice and dirty :soldier

Leopard 2A4 Camo Net

One thing I wanted to really do,was adding some Camo Nets.
Many times you will see Leo's covered by them,from the turret to all over the hull.
Not sure if I will go all the way,but the gun barrel is covered many times in the field,so this one will stay for sure.

Here's my way on how to do modern times camouflage nets;

Get your self: medical gauge,PVA glue,acrylic Olive Drab paint,tea leaves,dried chopped parsley
and H2O (Water). :D

CAMOUFLAGENET1.jpg

CAMOUFLAGENET2.jpg

Soak your net into the mixture.

CAMOUFLAGENET3.jpg

Lets dry the net on to a piece of paper for a short time,but it still has to be a bit moist when you add it to the surface.

CAMOUFLAGENET4.jpg

Add some more parsley on the net while it's still moist.

CAMOUFLAGENET5.jpg

Dryed in this picture I just have to add some paint.

CAMOUFLAGENET6.jpg

For discussion purpose only photo:

CAMOLEO.jpg

More to come later.

Gr,Ron.

Excellent Ron. Memories of the early 'Verlinden Way' books in the late 1970s. I remember copying his technique on a Tamiya Chieftain but failing as the gauge of the bandage was too thick.

Seeing how well yours has worked, I may have a go when I eventually do my Leo 1A5.

Ian.

very nice. I tried that same camo net technique a few years back on the same model...well it didn't come out quite as nicely as yours/ I also had added some small branches from a fern that look like pine tree branches. I think the name of the company was Hudson something but not sure anymore. (y)

Joe

I think the name of the company was Hudson something but not sure anymore. (y)

Joe

Think you mean Hudson and Allen,Joe?: http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hudsonandallen.com%2F&ei=CA2gVMXMH8GzabbAgSA&usg=AFQjCNF4UgQhY_wMJxdThsMKJTwn7QSWOg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s&cad=rja

Gr,Ron.

Leopard 2A4 THE END

Calling this one done.

I've added some natural camo to this one;

AP13.jpg

AP1.jpg

AP2.jpg

AP3.jpg

AP4.jpg

AP5.jpg

I felt it was a good idea to replace the tow cables,because they are made of the same rubber as the tracks,twisted wire looks better in my opinion.

AP6.jpg

The Belgian made FN MAG machinegun for the Dutch and Austrian Leo 2 version.(I know it's called different in other countries)

AP7.jpg

AP8.jpg

AP9.jpg

AP10.jpg

AP11.jpg

That's it for this one.
Trying to have a go at the grenadier figure in "watch your figure" now.

Gr,Ron.

Leopard 2A4 THE END

People would be asking if anyone else saw that big loud bush moving down the road. :rotf

Superb job Ron :notworthy

Back