• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard 2A4

reconron

Change of plans,
First I so much wanted to do the Fennek for this campaign,but I think I probably will not have enough time for it with the changes I wanna do on it and the on going info gathering.

Well,here's a favorite modern tank instead of it;the Leopard 2A4.

As a matter of fact it served in the Dutch Cavalry Recce bataljons when I was a conscript soldier.Ofcourse not that much as a recce vehicle but as armor fist if needed.

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

TIJD_STEMPEL_LEO.jpg

Leo propaganda video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P0gtiPRA5qQ

Greetings,Ron.

uh... great! I want to build this kit... so this will be nice to follow. :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

Looking forward to this one Ron

I guess this is an example of recon in force?
:popcorn

Not really, Dave. The tanks in reconnaissance battalions were used as fire brigade as it might be necessary, or in combination with tirailleurs (skirmishers) organically assigned to the armored reconnaissance units like tanks with infantry support. It had at the time, something to do with the Cold War doctrine in Europe of delaying battle to the enemy, who would come from the east, as far as possible to slow down so that a larger force of troops and allied ones (most likely from across the Atlantic) could be built to strike back.

Don't know if that would have worked however. :idonno (glad that the Cold War didn't get hot)

Greetings,Ron.

Nice choice, was this the kit you picked-up earlier this year ??

Ian

Yes it is,Ian. :)
The box has this text on it,by the way:Officialy licensed by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann.
KMW being the producer of this tank.
I guess Revell had to call it; German Main Battle Tank,and not "leopard" if KMW didn't give it their thumbs up.

Gr,Ron.

This is a typical Revell modern armor kit,some grabhandles are molded on,so I decided to remove them for ones made of metal wire.
Had to use putty on several parts...not Revell's fault,but Ron's clummsyness. :blush:

LEO_A.jpg

LEO_B.jpg

You get a VERY stiff metal wire in the kit,to be used for the antenna's.No matter what I tried I couldn't straighten out the wire (this could be a stainless steel wire).
Think I go and replace it with wire from my stash.

LEO_C.jpg

LEO_D.jpg

You will not see much of these handles with the turret in it's place.

LEO_E.jpg

LEO_F.jpg

Milling the molded headlights with a hollow point cutter will give you the illusion of a lightbulb,
later on I will use clear plastic for the glass part,or use Kristal Klear.

LEO_G.jpg

More to come later.
Greetings,Ron.

Got some paint work done;

LEO_AA.jpg

The tools on modern Dutch AFV's many times got the same color as the vehicle it self.

LEO_BB.jpg

LEO_CC.jpg

Playing around with several shades of the "old" NATO Olive Drab.

LEO_DD.jpg

LEO_EE.jpg

LEO_FF.jpg

LEO_GG.jpg

More to come later...

Greetings,Ron.

I don't have any photos, but I remember seeing these guys when I was in Germany and they had the white wash painted on, Not solid white, but more of a mottled pattern. I remember saying "wow, that tank means business" or something like that.

So far looking great! Can't wait to see it finished. I always liked the lines on this vehicle.

That is a meas ass looking tank, Ron. I am thinking it would look good next to my AS-90 if I ever get to it.

Back