• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

Welcome back Wigwag! Glad to see you here.

I've mostly been buying glues and other supplies, but a while ago, Brookhurst had a sale on select model kits. So, in addition to the paints and glues I bought, I got these three German destroyers:

full

full

full

The first two were six bucks each, the last one was eight. I couldn't pass that up!

Then I got a PM from a fellow Forum member, offering me some 1/72 scale aircraft that he knew he would never build. I accepted; not knowing how many he would send. I was quite surprised at the size of the box and the number of kits he packed inside:

full

Wow! How very generous! Thank you my good man, these are most appreciated. I already started one of them: the Val, which is one Japanese aircraft I haven't ever had in my collection. You can see the start of that in my Maddog Manufacturing Thread. Now I have even more to do during this stay-at-home time.

Thanks for looking in. Now to go update my manufacturing thread.

I ave been thinking about getting the conversion for the Airfix kit to make it an A/B.
This saved me my sanity and a lot of pain.
Frank :good:

Order came in with the bits I need for my MA10 build...along with a couple extras. :lol:

full

Last edited:
Order came in with the bits I need for my MA10 build...along with a couple extras. :lol:

full
Some nice items there Chris! I have the HK B-25 kit as well, you might try and find a pair of engines from HPH to use on it as the engines in the kit are horribly incorrect. Also I had a bad experience with the Ju-88 G-Factor landing gear. They were about 15% undersized (in all dimensions) and total garbage. I ended up modding the kit gear and ended up with a much better result anyway. After that experience I now pass on the aftermarket gear except in rare cases. I will buy Eduard bronze landing gear and Zouki Mura landing gear (which I think are made by Eduard for them)
I am not saying these gear are bad, just be careful and double check them for sure before doing a mod that you can't undo.

I have picked up a few things the last couple of weeks at the local hobby shop.
Aq-366.jpg

Aq-367.jpg

Aq-368.jpg

I also picked up a bunch of Vallejo paint for the RLM colors. I pretty much always buy my paint and adhesives at the hobby shop. Then there are always books and odd kits that show up out of the blue as he buys collections. It is an awesome shop and well worth buying supplies and odds and ends there.

Nice haul guys!

I was looking at a review of that 108 on Hyperscale just now and apparently, this model was first produced by "Striped Fighter" in 2018

Anyone ever hear of them??

I read about that in Vladimir Sulc's editorial in the May Eduard Info. He said:

The Bf 108 in 1:32nd scale. This is a ProfiPACK kit. As you are probably well aware, this is a kit who’s development was undertaken by another company, and was never finalized before the moulds were put up for sale. We bought those moulds and are releasing the kit under our own label. We also purchased the boxart for this item. This kit, under the original label and with the original boxart, was introduced and partially advertised before. We are planning to release this kit as per our established practices, meaning that it will first be released as a ProfiPACK kit, then as a Weekend Edition kit, and finally as one, or perhaps more, Limited Edition special boxings. The first, being released this month, is the ProfiPACK version. It follows the standard norm established for the ProfiPACK line, meaning it includes photoetching, masks, and five decal options. The kit also includes a resin wood propeller option. The reason that this is rendered in resin is that a wooden prop option was not part of the plastic components, but is relevant to many marking options.

I was very impressed with how the parts all look in the kit! The gigantic greenhouse canopy is very clear and almost perfect with minimal distortion. There are also canopy parts, so if you choose to open the side doors it can be built that way as well. I think it kind of ruins the look though and since the clear is so nice, I will be building mine closed.

I read about that in Vladimir Sulc's editorial in the May Eduard Info. He said:

The Bf 108 in 1:32nd scale. This is a ProfiPACK kit. As you are probably well aware, this is a kit who’s development was undertaken by another company, and was never finalized before the moulds were put up for sale. We bought those moulds and are releasing the kit under our own label. We also purchased the boxart for this item. This kit, under the original label and with the original boxart, was introduced and partially advertised before. We are planning to release this kit as per our established practices, meaning that it will first be released as a ProfiPACK kit, then as a Weekend Edition kit, and finally as one, or perhaps more, Limited Edition special boxings. The first, being released this month, is the ProfiPACK version. It follows the standard norm established for the ProfiPACK line, meaning it includes photoetching, masks, and five decal options. The kit also includes a resin wood propeller option. The reason that this is rendered in resin is that a wooden prop option was not part of the plastic components, but is relevant to many marking options.

I was very impressed with how the parts all look in the kit! The gigantic greenhouse canopy is very clear and almost perfect with minimal distortion. There are also canopy parts, so if you choose to open the side doors it can be built that way as well. I think it kind of ruins the look though and since the clear is so nice, I will be building mine closed.
Yeah I'm quite impressed with this one as well. Just need to start one. Looking forward to your build for hints and tips :)
James

So, I went out to our local museum yesterday as a buddy of mine had some Tamiya masking tape there in stock and I have been out of it for a couple weeks now. They have a large selection of kits in the gift shop and someone had traded this in.

kit42.JPG

It was a fair price and no tax so I picked it up. Going to keep it for a future build. :bigrin:

P-38E floatplane_zps56mth4oq.jpg

This proposed float version was an "E" but I think I can get away with the "F" version. Also, from what I've been able to find on my internet and literary searches, there were two experimental P-38E's with raised tails: one with a stretched and raised tail to test for buffeting and a second with a raised tail for the proposed float version, possibly known as "piggyback", so that the tail would clear the water during takeoff and landing.

first mod

82373-e810dd5cd20064524b79f84f8a9165e4.jpg

second, "piggy back" (for the float version)

82374-b77d89086ad785a6c4eafe94029835fd.jpg

82375-eac8314c22f895c8c62e5760e29d6b1b.jpg

Anyway, I'm leaning to the second mod as the more accurate. I'll have to figure out exactly how to modify the booms though.

I have some floats already that should work!

kit43.JPG

Last edited:
New library additions. Expect peeks inside when I make some time (hard to do while working in the hospital now):
1591017601790.png

1591017652486.png

1591017676807.png

1591017694274.png

Regards,

Wow James! You start reading all those and we won't hear from you for the rest of the year! Nice scores; there are several of those I'd love to have myself. I hope you enjoy the Midway book; I've been on that carrier at least twice, it was a blast both times!

Back