• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (turret finished)

I love these types of builds I hardly see them so always makes for a intresting read

The difference on the turret is incredible

And I'm also interested in how your gonna do the lighting as I'm going to attempt it on my bizzy and have no idea where to start yet lol

I love these types of builds I hardly see them so always makes for a intresting read

The difference on the turret is incredible

And I'm also interested in how your gonna do the lighting as I'm going to attempt it on my bizzy and have no idea where to start yet lol

The pit lighting of the panels I am going to try is something called light tunnel. In other words I am making the panels out of acrylic and doing some stuff for where the light will be allowed to exit or "glow" This is one of those rare times it "might" work. I will be starting with the back panel first and will do all the basics for all the lights on it. Then paint and other work to lock the light in except for where I want it. If I can make it work the rest of the pit should fall right in line.

First thing is getting all the correct layout for all the buttons and lights.

Wow.
While I don't think I'm going that far on my mods to the kit, your work is inspirational in what can be done with it to go from the 32" to the 5-footer in appearance.

Looking at the differences between them, it's like the crews building the filming models didn't even talk to each other. I know there is going to be less detail on a model that is intended for <1 second shots, but really.

Looking very good Paul ... great attention to detail ... excellent craftsmanship ....

Cheers Gerry

Wow.
While I don't think I'm going that far on my mods to the kit, your work is inspirational in what can be done with it to go from the 32" to the 5-footer in appearance.

Looking at the differences between them, it's like the crews building the filming models didn't even talk to each other. I know there is going to be less detail on a model that is intended for <1 second shots, but really.

I know in my research that the 5F was built first. It has greeblies from 1/76, 1/35, 1/24, 1/25, and 1/12 scale kits. Many of those parts don't translate down to half that size for the 32I.

Another thing is the filming props were never intended for us super detailers to sit down and study them. The closeup photos I have obtained of the 5F show it to be rather rough and crude (in addition to damage over time). It also has several big holes around the edge for handles to be inserted for carrying and handling. The 32I wasn't needed for closeups and so it was just a resonable facsimile of the bigger brother. In fact the only place I noticed where the 5F moved slow enough to even try and observe details, was in the first movie when it was tractored onto the Death Star.

What I can't understand is why they didn't add the extra or better details from the 5F when making the molds for this. :facepalm

Well remember, this is a replica of the Master Replicas prop, which was as exact a replica of the 32" as they could get. From my understanding, the 5F model never came into the equation. We're building a copy of a copy of a prop that was never meant to be scrutinized.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (more new pics)

Fantastic work. Really interesting build and cool to watch your techniques.
James

Thank you all for all the kind comments! They are very much appreciated! The next update might be a while. I am playing draftsman again on the computer trying to get a handle on all I have to cut and chop. (I think this next bout will be scratch and bash)

Lucky for me I have all the drafting experience so it makes it easier to do good parts layouts on paper instead of wasted plastic.

Anyway, time to hit the sack. :zen

If you haven't noticed yet I did some revisions on some of my earlier posts with pictures. As the project moved along I learned a few things and it became apparent that to get things straight I just needed to go back and tweak things, make some corrections and just get it streamlined with some other things I have been doing.

I am just now adding Issues #13 thru #16. That is 16% of the basics and with the revisions it will have 105 pictures in the BASIC group, and I have a long way to go. Hopefully it will be a great thing in the long run.

I also moved things like the picture of the screws and my reference photos to the first post on page 1 so that they will be much easier to find. The Extreme pictures are also going to get a minor tweak but mostly for my logistics. I am going to have to create a second Falcon folder in my Pbucket account because there are going to be a LOT more pictures.

Anyway, with that said, here are some more of the basics:

Falcon-Basic-080.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-081.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-082.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-083.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-084.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-085.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-086.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-087.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-088.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-089.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-090.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-091.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-092.jpg~original

That has all the pictures up and current. I am working on the cockpit parts and making drawings of all the part changes right now so not much to show at all. All computer graphics and layouts. Part of that is going to be a new back wall from scratch with some stuff done experimentally to the top part for the lighting. If it works like I think it should, I will do the side parts and then make all the other walls in the same way. That is going to take some time though. We shall see how it all turns out.

What these parts get no surgery NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :frantic

Back