• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

Large Custom Millennium Falcon ( New pics & video)

Thank you my friends! I much appreciate all your support! :silly:

One big chunk of plastic has been getting a ton of little pieces of plastic and resin this weekend. Ugh! I hope the rest of the kit isn't this much work, but I suspect it will be a fair bit. Trying to get the upper turret and gun mount rework finished up, but it is a lot like building the real thing.

I have also pretty much worn out the rubber mold I made. :eek:hmy: :soldier

I also thought I would be building on this a little then while waiting on more parts would build on something else. So far has not been the case. It is going well though!

I have been following along with everything here and I am thrilled and amazed at the excellent work you are doing. I can't fathom why the other Forum would give you such a hassle. I;d lo9ve to understand more if you want to PM me with some details; in particular; What is D'agostino's Forum and why was it important to post there?

Anyway, I'm following along and enjoying every new post you're showing. I'm also learning quite a bit as well. Keep pluggin' along man.

And at this point, I need to point out rule number 3.

Paul I understand your frustration but we have to respect the management style of every website out there, don't have to like it but we do have to respect it.

So get back to chopping that bad boy up! :popcorn

Point taken Bob! Didn't intend to have bash post, just needed to vent and see some good old MA positive attitude.

Duke to explain what all it is about, DeAgostini is a company that is a publisher/model mfg. They put out the subscription models. These are usually large complex kits of various things. In looking over their forum, they have (or have had) kits of motorcycles, race cars, military vehicles, ships (like the Bismark) planes (like the Spitfire, Zero, and 1/32 DC-3) and other subjects like this large Millenium Falcon kit.

The subscriptions are a monthly shipment of 4 weekly installments. It is my understanding that in Europe it is possible for hobby shops to carry the weekly installments, with new installments each week.

The weekly installments consist of a few parts and a full color 16 page magazine. Some assemblies are over several weeks. The parts come in a number of different materials consisting of ABS, styrene, brass, PE, zinc castings, resin, masonite, plywood, rubber, screws and a few other materials.

Model Space is their forum. Carl is the US moderator there and is a decent guy.

I thought that since I was building one of their kits it would be helpful to post on that site. In the end it wasn't like MA at all. So I be done there.

Tonight I am going to set down and count how many little resin parts I have added to that one piece. I bet there are 30+

Good to know, thanks for that info. I'm looking forward to hearing how many resin pieces you've added. Ms me feel like my particular brand of insanity is not so severe. :blink :blush: :D :D :D (y)

Keep plugging man! :geek :soldier

I can say one thing about building the 32 inch Falcon. The proportions between the 5 footer and the 32incher are slightly different. For the most part I like the basic shape of the 32 inch model over the shape of the 5 footer. However I like the detail of the 5 footer so it works out somewhere in the middle.

As for little resin parts applied so far the count is 31. Those are all around the edge. There are 2 basic shapes and they are about .060 wide by .310 long. Starting to do the top surface now, and that isn't counting all the little evergreen squares and whatnot added. :blink
3dfou.gif

I will post some before/after pics when all is applied.

OMG!PAUL how did i miss this, I love the Millennium Falcon, Your Build is looking Amazing. and I need one of thoes dremel presses So cool :popcorn

Thanks for looking in Trog'! Hope you will enjoy it! I have a long way to go and I won't receive the last part until August 2017.

As to the Dremel drill press, this model hasn't been available since about 1990. (give or take a couple years) It will also require a Dremel from about the same time to fit it. In addition the external speed control is more immportant than the drill press. I use it all the time and it keeps the speeds way down at a better speed for a lot of things. As I stated in the post, newer versions of the drill press are not stable or solid enough to do this.

I have seen the speed control on Ebay, and while expensive you won't regret getting it. I have an OLD :eek:ldguy vari-speed Dremel that is always plugged into it and I use the external for control always. (The trick when using vari-speed Dremels is turn their speed control up all the way when using the external speed control)

The drill press and a compatible Dremel might be found on "The 'bay" as well, but good luck! :good:

Have been steadily working on the upper turret. (part TP-3) Finally got almost all the details added to the main plate. Have fully modified the window frame to make it look more like the one on the 5 footer, and it looks awesome. Will be posting some more pics this coming weekend.

The last couple days I have been detailing the gun mount which now looks quite a bit different. Can hardly wait to post the before/after photos.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon ( )

Your work is worth waiting for ,but don't take too long to post an update :bat

LOL!! :rotf

I won't receive the last batch of parts until August 2017 Piet. Just trying to keep at the building till I hit a good stop point. Then I spend a bunch of time doing up the posts.

Though I could do a snippet tonight before the big unveiling this weekend. :hmmm

In looking around I found that ParaGrafix is making a replacement PE cockpit for the DeAG Falcon. While it corrects a number of issues from the kit parts, it still perpetuates the incorrect "short" cockpit from ANH. The cockpit for ESB is about 18 inches longer with an added section between the ANH panels and the window area. That is about an additional .41 inches (10.6 mm) depth to the pit. Haven't worked out a good measurement yet.

The ParaGrafix sheet is fairly good sized so it is a bit pricey at $60. Here is the link for ParaGrafix home page.

1.jpg
3.jpg

As nice as it looks,I probably won't be buying it. Their upcoming hold set will be a different story I think.

My thoughts exactly. I'm scratch building my own cockpit, adding the length to it. I'm considering the hold set though, even for just the floor. That would be a much nicer looking one than if I scratch built it. I'm still debating.

I have a ton of things to post so I am breaking it up a little bit. There will be more in a day or two and then more after that. Enjoy!

I even have a neat little tool tip that everyone might find helpful. ;)

So here we go. . .

Falcon-FX-023.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-024.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-025.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-026.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-027.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-028.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-029.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-030.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-031.jpg~original

Falcon-FX-032.jpg~original

The next installment in a day or two will be a basic covering some things I overlooked in posting last time and the latest aquisition.

Following that a couple three days later will be some more extreme with revising the window frame.

Finally, a total revise of the upper fgun mount part and the total revision revealed.

All is done to that point just need to get the posts assembled and uploaded. Needing a little build break as next is the cockpit and I have to do some prep work before even starting to build.

Enjoy!

Back