• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kinetic F-5

ij001

So this arrived all the way from ‘the old country’ this afternoon:

Even with the postage it’s still cheaper to have the thing delivered from the UK, than buy it across the counter here in NZ (even if you can find one !!).

As this is written I’ve only had a cursory glance at the contents of the (end opening) box, and surprisingly it isn’t the neatly packaged bits of plastic that made my jaw drop, it was the superbly presented, stapled, 32 page instruction manual. The 12 steps are individually drawn in large A4 LANDSCAPE format, one step per page and so explicit that even a serial styrene mangler like me has no excuse for scr*w*ng-up the construction.

Ahh but that only takes me to the centre-page. The following 16 pages are the paint/decal options !! – That’s 16, count them, 16 options, 3 USAF, 3 RCAF, 2 Klu, 2 RNoAF, 5 HAF and bringing-up the rear the sole VNAF machine….

So here’s a wee clue as to what I’m planning for mine:

I know that the Vietnamese machines had scabbed-on appliqué armour on the undersides protecting the engines and it shouldn’t be too difficult to fabricate these out of plastic sheet. There’s a good series of reference photos over on ARC (I think), which I’ll be using very soon. But other than this and a change in loadout, and maybe a replacement resin seat this will be almost straight from the box. Won’t be starting for a couple of weeks, after the RF-4, Harrier and StuG have cleared the bench, but I have to admit, the thought of starting this wee project does give me a very definite ‘buzz’

Updates ‘as-and-when’

AFN

Ian

I know that the Vietnamese machines had scabbed-on appliqué armour on the undersides protecting the engines and it shouldn’t be too difficult to fabricate these out of plastic sheet. There’s a good series of reference photos over on ARC (I think), which I’ll be using very soon.

The site was Brit Modeller:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234923257-kinetic-f-5a/

Not all had the armor.

Regards,

Wow ! A proper model ! What a concept :)

I have seen some armor plating on F-4's returning from SEA as well but I have not noticed anyone modeling that feature before.

Cheers, Christian B)

I know that the Vietnamese machines had scabbed-on appliqué armour on the undersides protecting the engines and it shouldn’t be too difficult to fabricate these out of plastic sheet. There’s a good series of reference photos over on ARC (I think), which I’ll be using very soon.

The site was Brit Modeller:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234923257-kinetic-f-5a/

Not all had the armor.

Regards,

Thank you, Saul appreciate that ;)

Ian

Looking forward to this... I have the F-5E/N in the stash.... I'd like to get my hands on an 'F' model.

As keen as I am to get moving on this project, I'm determined to finish the RF-4, the StuG and a 'What If' P-47 that are currently littering the bench, first.

At least I've sourced the 'loadout' options !!

Ian

This one has now edged closer to the workbench. Received a wee packet of Eduard etched goodness from Hannants in the UK this week, included was a set of 'belts' for the F-5. As this is the only addition I'll be making to what comes in the box, and I've already sourced the loadout, this means it's ready to go just as soon as the RF-4 is finished.

More soon.

Ian

Back