• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kawanishi E7K1 Alf (Hasegawa 1/72)

A quick update on this one, did a fair bit but only a couple pics to show.

Most of the fuse and lower wings are together now, trimmed and puttied. Just needs some sanding!

and though it's hard to see, I started using some mono line to rig up the floats

Been adding a few details to give this build some more :woohoo:

First, i added an observers hatch which is completely absent from the kit. There is supposed to be 3 sliding panels and I think the last one was supposed to have a window in it (but this one won't). Also, the bombs provided with the kit looked like they recently had their bar mitzvah and looked to large so I cut down some rocket launchers from my AM Yak and drilled some new holes to attach them.

Took some left over PE frets and fashioned a few new panels for the side of the fuse

and added a piece of sheet styrene on the starboard side for the generator

finished up the rigging on the floats

Then started to add a few details to the top wing. Starting with some small parts in the center (antenna or something). I drilled a hole in an old strut piece and then cut it down to size.

added that piece with a couple small wire pieces and some resin marker lights from the spares box. Only had green though so I'll paint them.

still need to add some wires for the lifting harness too!

Here's how she looks so far

A few more small additions from the past week. SHould be ready to start rigging and painting tonight or tomorrow!

Added a lifting harness out of small diameter wire and a couple PE brackets from the spares box

Glued on the struts to prepare for the rigging. The upper wing is just sitting there.

Forgot to add the steps on the front float struts before I glued the floats on

added some tie down loops and steps

and the bracket and generator on the starboard side

Thanks again for the great comments guys. I'm trying my best to finish this one up on time too!! :woohoo:

A big update without a lot of progress tonight!

This is the critter (Yo-121) I'm trying to model here (Taken from Maru Mechanic Vol. 9, No. 36, 1982, Page 20, Figure 4)

started out on the weekend shooting a layer of black

then I experimented with some shades of silver shown below

To be continued........(have to put my little girl to bed)

Thanks Christian!

I decided that the Modelmaster aluminum didn't look good so I went with the Tamiya and Agama paints. the Agama was the same silver I used on my Lublin build. I was hoping for a slight colour difference between the metal and fabric surfaces and I think these two paints work well.

Hope you can see that in these images

Next, I began work on a basic trolley for this while the silver dried using some Evergreen styrene and a couple wheels from one of my AM Yak kits.

I sanded the faces off the wheels, not worried about these being weighted as the real ones were solid metal (or wood but probably metal).

Then made some corner brackets

add a couple cross members and voila!

drilled out some holes for axles

sanded the wheels down with the Dremel

installed with Evergreen rod

Finished with the base

added a platform and painted the struts semi gloss black. This is where it sits at the moment! going back to the bench tonight!

That evergreen rod can be pretty flimsy for axles but then it is a small model as long as the floats aren't weighted. Just a thought. Looking awesome as usual Warren. (y) (y)

Back