• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Leave that snake alone and let's go!" Vietnam dio

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Hello All,

It's been awhile since I have posted any of my work (September 2014). That is because I had hip surgery and then was working on this diorama.

It is titled, "Leave that snake alone and let's go!" and takes place at one of the Fire Support Bases occupied by 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized) of the 9th Infantry Division during Operation Santa Fe where the battalion provided security to engineers who were opening up Route 1 by pushing back the jungle so the VC had more difficulty setting in near ambushes and setting up mines as well as the artillerymen who provided support during the operation. Every so often as the route continued to be cleared, the Fire Support Bases would be moved to keep up with the progress of opening the route. This scene takes place along the perimeter of one of these bases. Soldiers from Company C, 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized) are preparing to depart on a dismounted patrol. The platoon leader is speaking with the gunner of the C34 track while waiting a response on the radio granting him permission to leave the wire. While waiting, two Soldiers found a red tailed racer, a tree snake that was displaced by the engineers clearing away the trees. Since they are about to depart, the squad leader is yelling at them to leave the snake alone. Several other Soldiers are looking to see what the squad leader is yelling about.

I built this diorama to honor Soldiers of 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized) and for the upcoming Lone Star Figure Show. Since the story I wanted to focus on was the handling of the snake and the squad leader yelling at those Soldiers, I decided to build a wedgie of the M113 instead of the whole vehicle which might take the attention away from the main story. Most of the figures are conversions of Bravo 6 figures with the exception of the black Soldier who is a mixture of Masterbox and Hobby Fan and the Vietnamese interpreter who is a conversion of the kneeling VC from the "Charlie on the Right!" kit from Masterbox. He really is a Cheu Hoi in miniature!:) The guys messing with the snake are conversions of the Hobby Fan recoilless rifle crew. The M113 is from the Academy kit. Since 2/47 Inf (M) vehicles early in the war varied in the installation of the various parts of the ACAV kits, it was common to see some vehicles not having a gun tub, not having a shield, or not having either depending on the weapon systems carried. An example is the C14 track which carried a recoilless rifle on the right side. Since the gun shield for the .50 from the ACAV set hindered the operation of the RR, it was not put on and only the gun tub and one shield for the M60 on the left side were utilized. Most of the paper products (c-ration cases and boxes, coke cases and beer cases) are from MEC Models. Most of the magazines, which I researched and made sure they were from 1967 or before, are from Archer Fine Transfers. The claymores are from Bravo 6 and are awaiting placement which is why they are out. Take note of the one facing down - it is painted white on the back. This was so the Soldier manning the M60 in the bunker could look through a Starlight scope and ensure that the VC had not turned them around before detonating it. There is also a broken open M79 with a round prepared next to it from TANK Miniatures.

After I had built most of the diorama, I got in contact with Bill Rambow, a veteran of Charlie Company, 2d Battalion, 47th Infantry (Mechanized) from the time period I was depicting. He wrote two excellent historical fiction books about C Co, 2/47th Inf (M) which served as the inspiration for me to start this project (CIB and ROE). I just wish I had been able to speak with him before I started. His photos and advice really helped me alot in terms of getting some of the finer details right and for the ones that I couldn't correct because I had already glued things down, to get right on my next project representing the same unit. He also got me in contact with other unit veterans and with all of the knowledge they are sharing with me, future projects will turn out alot better. So, thank you guys very much!

So, now to the pictures. Keep in mind that these were taken before the final bits of advice about the antenna on the track and adding an artillery registration pole were given. I have corrected the length of the antenna and have added the pole and will take a picture just of those a bit later.

Here is an overall view of the diorama. I still need to do some touch up on the wooden part of the base and add the title plate, but at least you can see the "meat" of the diorama. You can see the tracks left by the Rome Plows when they cleared the area.

100_0901.JPG

Here is a picture of the front of the M113 before weathering showing the unit markings, bumper code, and leaping panther on the trim vane (before it got all scratched up from carrying rolls of concertina wire on the front) since they are more difficult to see, but are visible enough when looking at the diorama in person, after the weathering process.

100_0643_28640x53329.jpg

Now for the various elements of the diorama. If you have any questions about anything, ask and I will do my best to answer them.

You always have one or two guys in the unit who just have to mess with the wildlife. I know that in my unit we had a couple guys who participated in the "Rattlesnake Roundup" event held in Sweetwater, Texas every year. They were mature enough not to do that stuff in front of the Soldiers which I am thankful for. I can identify with the squad leader's concern about these guys getting bit or something.
100_0902_28640x48029.jpg

This Soldier is carrying a Starlight Scope in that bag on his back. I built him before I had met Bill and found out that they did not have the bags for their scopes and they went out with them mounted on a rifle. Now I Know for next time. :)
100_0903_28630x64029.jpg

This is the figure that actually started the whole diorama and let to the guys with the snake because I had to figure out what I was going to have him yelling about.
100_0904_28640x48029.jpg

This Soldier was originally going to be in a vignette of guys taking a rest break in the jungle, but his weary look (Infantrymen never get enough sleep between conducting patrols, digging in, work details, standing guard on the .50 all day and night and mannning the bunker at night.) fit right in to this diorama.
100_0905_28640x48029.jpg

100_0906_28496x64029.jpg

100_0907_28640x48029.jpg

100_0908_28640x48029.jpg

100_0909_28640x48029.jpg

100_0910_28640x48029.jpg

100_0911_28640x48029.jpg

100_0912_28640x51829.jpg

100_0913_28640x48029.jpg

100_0914_28640x48029.jpg

100_0915_28640x48029.jpg

100_0916_28640x48029.jpg

100_0917_28640x48029.jpg

100_0918_28640x48029.jpg

100_0919_28640x48029.jpg

100_0920_28640x48529.jpg

100_0921_28640x48029.jpg

100_0922_28640x48029.jpg

100_0923_28640x51529.jpg

100_0924_28640x56829.jpg

100_0925_28640x48029.jpg

100_0926_28640x56229.jpg

Well, those are the pictures for now. Later on I will take a couple shots with the shortened antenna on the M113 and the artillery registration pole in place.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
JamesH

Thanks for the positive comments, gents.

It is good to be back on the site.

As I mentioned, I shortened the antenna on the M113 and added the aiming pole. In the picture it looks kind of crooked, but it actually is straight. Must be my crappy photography skills.

100_0927.JPG

100_0928.JPG

100_0929_28640x48029.jpg

100_0931_28640x48029.jpg

Cheers,
James

Think they call it Lens Warp James. Not sure how to correct it other than just saying, it's straight. (y)

Yeah, lens warp. That's the ticket!

(For those of you who have seen the skits by Jon Lovitz on Saturday Night Live you might get a laugh out of that)

Apart from the outstanding modelling skills on display, what really caught my eye was the 'dryness' of the scene, no sign of moisture, if you were shooting for 'arid', then you hit the target, no problem.

Excellent diorama, James.

Ian.

Thanks Luiz and Ian,

The ground is meant to be dry as it takes place at the beginning of the dry season. When this FSB was Rome Plowed to clear away most of the vegetation, there may have been some moisture captured by the vegetation causing the dozers to leave such deep tracks, but it quickly dried up and became hard packed earth. That is why the M113 tracks near the guys with the snake are much less defined. Those were some of the things that were told to me by one of the Soldiers that was on this operation in regards to the ground.

Cheers!
James

Thanks Luiz and Ian,

The ground is meant to be dry as it takes place at the beginning of the dry season. When this FSB was Rome Plowed to clear away most of the vegetation, there may have been some moisture captured by the vegetation causing the dozers to leave such deep tracks, but it quickly dried up and became hard packed earth. That is why the M113 tracks near the guys with the snake are much less defined. Those were some of the things that were told to me by one of the Soldiers that was on this operation in regards to the ground.

Cheers!
James

Thanks for the run down James! So, this is based on a real lifew situation then? Kewl. :good:

You're welcome. Yes, it is based on actual events. The snake was actually a Vietnamese rock python, but the red tailed racer was more colorful and the snake I had sculpted ended up being too small for the rock python, so the snake ended up being a red tailed racer.

Nice little scene with a good story - the figures have so much detail and life.
The subtle red dust staining is perfect and in all the right places on the soldiers.

Brokeneagle

You're welcome. Yes, it is based on actual events. The snake was actually a Vietnamese rock python, but the red tailed racer was more colorful and the snake I had sculpted ended up being too small for the rock python, so the snake ended up being a red tailed racer.

(y)

Great story & Excellent Dio ... (y) ... very nice job ... :drinks .. I'm glad your over your surgery .. :good: .. and back on the site ..... looking forward to more of your work .... :popcorn

Back