• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Junkers Ju87D "Stuka" 1/32

I have taken a big step and started with painting :zen

First a layer of the interior colour on the canopyframe then i start the rest, hope i did the masking good now :idonno

P1070623.JPG

Also, finally put the extension of the shelf where the spraybooth stands in place, gonna make some new holders for the AB's there to.

P1070624.JPG

//Mats

Looks good from here Mats. :popcorn

Thanks guys :drinks

I have in my mind that i will screw it up so i tend to delay painting as long as i can, but now i go forward and we'll see what happens :idonno

Ok it's primed

P1070627.JPG

Put together a simple jig from isolation foam and toothpicks :gogo

P1070628.JPG

Preshade

P1070629~0.JPG

Hellblau Ral65, think it needs a thin layer more on some spots :hmmm

P1070630~0.JPG

P1070631~0.JPG

Is it ok to do a clear coat over the underside before masking off?
Just thought it would be a little tougher for the tape to rip the paint off.... :bang head

//Mats

thanks Dave, i added a little more paint on the underside now because the preshade was showing a little to much

Is it ok to do a clear coat over the underside before masking off?

Personally I wouldn't, it could cause some bad marking of the clear coat surface.

Just thought it would be a little tougher for the tape to rip the paint off.

What primer did you use?

What paints are you using, acrylics?

Biggest PLUS for masking over paint is to be sure it is fully cured.

For primer I use Tamiya Fine white primer but mostly my usual Tamiya A/S 12 bare metal silver. (rattlecans)

The white primer is good for preventing possible paint runs if you go to close or spray to quick between coats, I rarely use the white primer these days.

I spray acrylics 99% of the time Gunze/Mr Hobby and have never had paint lift using the A/S 12 for my base.

Tamiya yellow masking tape used all the time for my builds.

You could try some tape on an area of the blue where it will be covered by another part, like the gear leg spats, are you painting the wingtips yellow? if yes try some there.

HTH

thanks Phil :good:
I use the fine white primer from tamiya and then tamiyas paints on that and the tamiya tape.
I will make sure to let the paint cure before doing masking, one day is enough?
//Mats

As the Irish say "To Be Sure" - give it at least two.

I pushed the timeframe on my FW 190 D12 with the two green colours, masked over the light green and sprayed the dark, when removing the mask I got a stain - not enough dry time, flat coat should cover it I think.

I haven't actually sprayed Tamiya's acrylic bottle paint! I'm 100% Gunze convert with acrylic bottle paint but thr Tamiya paint should me much the same.

For your splinter camo on the Stuka, a new blade and a glass kitchen cutting board is tops, always get a nice razor sharp cut every time.

* * Also give your primed surface a light rub over with a clean paper towel to remove any overspray too, blow it clean after. This gives the primed surface a little more smoothness too. * *

Mats you're doing great on the preshade, something I've yet to figure out. As far as clear coating, if you're adding a second or third color I probably would not, think I would get all the colors in place and then get a seal coat.

Doing great! :popcorn

Ok here comes an update on this ugly bird....

Have the underside masked of and the first green in place, now masking again for the camo! :frantic :bang head

P1070743~0.JPG

//Mats

(y) Nice idea to prop the thing up like that. You'll 'ace' the masking, no problem.... :pp

Ian

Masking the camo pattern, gonna try to finish before SMC in Veldhoven 12 October... :frantic

P1070822~0.JPG

//Mats

So much work putting the tape in place and then just take it all off again... :bang head
The instructions on how to mask the camo was the worst i've seen so i used a little artistic freedom :coolio

P1070823~0.JPG

//Mats

So much work putting the tape in place and then just take it all off again... :bang head
The instructions on how to mask the camo was the worst i've seen so i used a little artistic freedom :coolio

P1070823~0.JPG

//Mats

er...what's the problem :idonno

Looks good to me. :good:

No problem so far, just that it's so much work for masking and then you rip the tape off again :) getting off the bluetac is another story...

Back