• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ju 290A-5

Old Dog

First one of my backlog completions is this one from the 'Show Your Junk' campaign. This kit I think sets a record for the number of fiddly bits to be added at the end. Counting the antennas, control hinges, actuators and mass balances there were close to 30 parts on the bottom alone. Elsewhere there were the turret clear parts, landing light lens, pitot tube, front and rear guns, antenna masts top side for the clothes line antenna and the nose radar antennas. The latter are way over sized for the scale and to me the photo etch parts were way too one dimensional. I tried making something up using fine wire but the parts were too small and close together for me to deal with so in the end I used the kit parts. Even these were a challenge to clean up and assemble. Looking at photos much of the outside detailing is oversize an to make it in scale would probably be beyond the capability of injection molding and the parts would be too small and delicate to handle as well. Anyway below are the final photos.

290-b15.jpg

290-b16.jpg

290-b17.jpg

290-b18.jpg

290-b19.jpg

290-b20.jpg

290-b21.jpg

290-b22.jpg

290-b23.jpg

And for those who I might think I went overboard on the exhaust staining...

290weathering01.jpg
290weathering02.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Great job Gary (y) Quite an accomplishment .

That particular array of radar antennae would be very tricky even in 1/48 scale :woohoo:

Cheers, Christian B)

Beautiful model Gary.. congratulations.

I have one in my stash but did not have the Courage to face it yet. Too big.

Yours is inspiring though.

Cheers

Alex

Very nice job Gary!

Were the engines working extra-hard pulling these big birds through the air???

:laugh:

Warren, I have to assume it was poor quality gas in the later war years, I have found numerous photos of late war birds covered with soot from the engines. It must have kept the ground crews busy cleaning spark plugs :idonno

Back