• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Interesting B-24 Video

nerdling

I was looking at some random Youtube videos and came across this one. An amazing test video of a B-24 being ditched in the water on purpose. From what I have read the B-24 was a terrible airplane to ditch in the water. It tended to break in half, like this one does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjadMxpXprk#t=27

Tell me they were using some sort of remote control! Nope...just got to that part. Hell of a test pilot! :drinks

After reading Unbroken, I read the book about '24s she mentions as the best reference on them.

The lower fuselage also meant it sank quickly, usually trapping the crew. Apparently a B-17 can float indefinitely, but not a '24. They weren't overly loved by those who flew them. You have to question going with a design that isn't stable and doesn't ditch well as your workhorse in the Pacific. The main upside was it's range.

The 17 crews used to call the 24s, 'The box our plane came in'. ;)

Tell me they were using some sort of remote control! Nope...just got to that part. Hell of a test pilot! :drinks

I just love how the one guy pulls out a comb and starts combing his hair like it was a normal thing to ditch a plane :rotf

I also love how all their clothes are taped tightly to their limbs. I wonder if that was normal ditching protocol, 'gentlemen, tape your clothes, we're going in!'

I was thinking that tape was for easy spotting, waters in the Chesapeake Bay are not known for being clear.

The comb was a good touch, just another day at the office.

I was thinking that tape was for easy spotting, waters in the Chesapeake Bay are not known for being clear.

Maybe. I guess I have the tanker mindset: no exposed pockets or loose flaps to catch on the way out.

Heck, I can barely make it across the kitchen without getting stuck on something, I'd hate to try to find my way out of a flooding aircraft, upside down, underwater in the dark.

Can you imigine what health and safety will say to beeing the designated "Ditching a plane in the ocean pilot"?

Back