• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I think I'm turning Japanese...

Thanks Luiz!

More work on the Dinah trainer...a coat of gloss black was airbrushed on followed by a patchy coat of dull metall. This model will have the usual scheme of dark green over pale gray that many Ki-46 aircraft wore but this model will get massive amounts of paint chipping done to it. :evil:

h60e4c3a.JPG

h0bcae0d.JPG

The canopy is just tacked on and will be removed after the camouflage colors are sprayed on so I can hand paint the canopy frames with a paint brush...I did not feel up to masking all that glass.

Matrixone

Thanks for looking guys!

Here is an in-progress look at how I will be doing the paint chipping on the Dinah trainer.

Now that the metall paint has dried for a number of days I am using bits and pieces of Tamiya tape to cover various parts of the airframe, some of the tape was cut in a jagged edge pattern using an X-acto knife. After I finish adding the pieces of tape damp salt will be placed on some of the edges of the tape and after that dries the model will receive a patchy coat of dark green.

h2251a5a.JPG

hfa8b0fc.JPG

h28fe2fb.JPG

Here is a small example of the tape/salt weathering technique I used on this 1/32 scale Bf 109K-4.

hdc67c43_2016-04-26.JPG

Matrixone

How was your pre-shading applied? Was it oils and a wide brush? Gary Very nice work!!!! I love building Japanese A/C. They were so under rated. Gary

Here's another good airbrush for the money. Gary
http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Thanks guys! (y)

Gary,
Not sure about your question about the pre-shade, the Dinah trainer has had no pre-shading on it...yet.

Here are the results of the tape/damp salt to add the paint chip effects.

hbfa090d.JPG

hf64168b.JPG

I liked how this turned out but sadly there was just too much metal showing for my taste so I went back and added more damp salt and re-sprayed the green paint that removed some of the metal areas.

h9531911.JPG

hc464341.JPG

h03193ca.JPG

The stabilizers still have much of the salt left on them.

h5a9a47b.JPG

The green paint was not 100% dry when I removed it from the models surface so there is still a few grains that will need to be scraped off but I like how the paint chipping looks so far. The next phase of paint chipping will be using wet sandpaper to lightly sand off some of the green paint but still leaving the metal paint underneath.

Matrixone

Thanks Bob!

What I did was use jagged shaped small pieces of Tamiya tape combined with using damp salt to mask off the metal areas from the green paint. It works okay on this small scale Dinah trainer but this technique would produce stunning effects on a larger scale model.

Matrixone

Back