• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I think I'm turning Japanese...

Nice work les!

I really have to sit down and try that salt chipping technique!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

:popcorn

Thanks for all the comments!

I am done tinkering with the paint chipping, yes it still looks extreme but after the rest of the model is painted and the markings are on it won't look as bad.
Most of my models I keep the weathering subtle and more to scale but this model will be the opposite with weathering over the top. B)

h1225a30.JPG

h4851ab4.JPG

Matrixone

Dave, I think I stumbled onto a way to effectively produce the finish of an aircraft that's been rotting in a jungle for a few decades. :hmmm

Matrixone

Thank you Sherman!

Now that the Panther and Bf 109K-4 are nearly finished I will be spending more time on the Dinah trainer and get it off my work table ASAP.

The Ki-46 has had the undersurfaces and yellow ID markings painted, next I will be hand painting the special markings on the black painted tail.

hf3c38cb.JPG

h68b6d86.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks very much Duke!

I hand painted the special unit markings on the tail, after that was finished the tail planes were glued on. Not pictured is the propellers, wheels, and landing gear doors, they have all been painted and weathered.

The tricky part of this build will be aging the national markings...no matter what the rest of the paint job on their aircraft looked like the Japanese took good care of the meatballs and touched them up if the paint was damaged. I will try and use several different shades of red paint to try and make it look like the national markings had been re-painted a few times.

hc5ad5c6.JPG

h693a003.JPG

hc2741d4.JPG

Matrixone

Some progress on the Dinah trainer...

All the decals have been put on and I popped off the clear parts and removed the masking tape and hand painted the canopy frames being careful to also include some chipped paint on them.

h2013e5a.JPG

h24d2ecf.JPG

h4a274d5.JPG

hc97fa79.JPG

After the decals fully tighten down on the models surface I will seal them in with a light coat of Future and then attempt to age the meatballs so they won't look this fresh.
Some paint chipping will be done on the lower surface but not very much.

Matrixone

Thank you Luiz and Mike.

No pictures today but I did make some useful progress on this model, I had been thinking about how to go about toning down the Hinomaru markings so they won't be such a bright red and better match the weathered upper surfaces. For a while I was thinking about dry brushing some pale red on the Hinomaru's but that would be too easy for some of the red to get on the white portions, at the last minute I thought of something else... get some notebook paper and cut out circles the same diameter of the red on the Hinomaru's and use the notebook paper as soft masks and then airbrush on the pale red paint.
I tried it and it worked far better than expected, I wish I had thought of this when I built the Ki-84 and Ki-61. :bang head

I should have some new pictures posted Monday.

Matrixone

It looks great.
I like it when the masking comes off of the canopy! :idonno :)

More pictures please.

Cheers,

Bill

Back