• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I had a bad day....

Tim A.

...and then it got worse.
After a mentally brutal day at work I come home to see a worker on a ladder with a hammer against the house we are renting. He was removing the supports and base to the old central air unit which was located outside my modelling room. When I walked in the house my wife tells me she heard a crash in the room but was afraid to go look, I did and it wasn't pretty. I guess the guy was beating so hard on the outside of the house it knocked two G scale railroad passenger cars off a display shelf. This shelf is located directly above where I keep finished models. Yep.... My recently completed Sturm build, A Panther, almost ready for paint, and a completed Grasshopper build all got hit not to mention destroying the passenger cars.
The tanks I can rebuild but the dio base to the Sturmtiger is beyond repair :angry:

Is there a lesson here? h*ll I don't know...mabey don't give a gorrilla a hammer? :hmmm

Tim

That sucks. The Sturm was gorgeous. I think I would be going to his boss and requesting reparation.
James

Deep breath.

HOOD,

I'm sorry to hear ! :sick: Ahrrrg ! That Sux !!

Hell with it ! Charge your Land Lord for the Damages !! ?

DO We need to come down there & Rattle some Cages ?

ERIK

Sorry to hear that,but you should be financially compensated by someone,either landlord or contractor.I'm not a suit crazy guy,but when someone negligently damages your property,someone should pay.

hmmm ... that's bad news but it could have been worse!

you could have come home witnessing your house on fire! that would really be something bad!

While I am sorry to hear you lost some important pieces to this accident, I'm not so sure it's fair to blame the guy with the hammer. :(

If anyone is to blame it should be the landlord, or whoever scheduled the work. He/she/it should have informed you of what was about to happen so you could make the necessary preparations for said work, like clearing off the shelf on that wall. As a carpenter myself I know for a fact how just driving a nail into an exterior wall (see: doing my job) can shake, rattle and roll the inside surface very easily.

Case in point, I was once hired to repair some rotted siding here in my home town and while my employee and myself began removing the siding, I could hear stuff 'bouncing' on the wall inside. I stopped all work, rang the bell and informed the homeowner, she looked and said everything was all good, smiled and closed the door. We resumed work and I could still hear what sounded like pictures, or shelving 'bouncing' every time I struck the wall. (I'm not a gorilla mind you, but it is a 28oz. hammer) Again I stopped the work and rang the bell and asked if I could have a look, because something was rattling around in there and I wanted to take it down if I could. She wasn't too keen on letting strangers in the house so again, she checked things out and said everything was fine and that "the sooner you get done, the less we have to worry about"

:huh:

Fine, I went back to my task. Now any qualified carpenter knows you want to sink the siding nails into the framing studs, not just randomly into the sheathing, which does take some pounding. Eventually I heard a crash which turned out to be one of her favorite tea cups from the shelf of teacups she had been collecting for years. Wouldn't you know withing ten minutes my cellphone was ringing with her husband asking me "what the hell is going on there?"

Again, your situation sucks and as someone who has had his fair share of favorite models busted, I feel for you. I don't however think that guy, two stories up on a ladder just trying to do his job, intended on smashing your models.

IMO, the landlord is at fault...

I would have to disagree with you on that one.The worker definitly bears some responsibility for his actions.It is stressed to us by our company,that we are to assess any job we do,and to check our surroundings and make sure all is safe for us ,others,and property,and to assess the consequences of our actions.You can't just assume everything is okay,and plunge blindly ahead with what you are doing and if something happens,say well I didnt know.When you work with the public,it is your job to know.

You are free to disagree, no worries. :D

As a licensed contractor though I can tell you that if that workers bosses contract is with the landlord (owner of property) than the weight of the burden is on his shoulders legally, and the worker is covered/protected by that, so chasing him for reparations would be a fruitless endeavor. Unless the renter hired that worker, there is no agreement between those two parties.

I'm also not interested in assuming what the worker did or did not do, I wasn't there. I simply pointed out that the poor guy was hammering on the wall, hammers are heavy.

I have been working for the public for over twenty years and have been the guy who holds the license, the guy signs the contract, the guy who pays the insurance bill and the guy who deals with the customer but thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated.

(y)

Okay,I understand what you are saying,but we know what direction the stuff rolls,downhill.If one of your workers acted negligently and caused problems one time too many for you,you probably would get rid of him,hence he does have some consequences for his actions.Just trying to say that the worker bears some of the consequences one way or another.

And i'm reasonably sure that in our litigious society,he and everybody else involved would be sued.

good day too you sir

:hmmm This is not worth two awesome TnT'rs having words over. A case of beer and handshakes may be in order here.

The landlord did call today after hearing about what happened. He felt terrible and offered to pay for the damage but that is just not my way.

Besides Laura is right :pinch:

Ken I too have had to deal with taking resposibility for actions in a business. I remember when I had my furniture restoration shop. Once I cracked a piece of bubble glass to a antique hutch that I spent two weeks restoring. I had to eat the job and a weeks pay... I guess thats what they call life.

Tim

Back